Chapter 2

I have uploaded a photo on your right of what the 8 Fly Boys might look like on stage. (Please note they did not take their shirts off, but if they did, this is what they might look like. LOL)  

Fly Boys - Chapter 2

River felt much better after getting a good night sleep. She was actually in a good mood for a change, that is, right up until the first person she talked to reminded her that it was Announcement Day for this year's selection of Fly Boys. Right! She just wanted the stupid ceremony and everything that went along with it, to be over already. She couldn't wait until the Fly Boys and their chosen mates finally departed for Special Ops, and left the rest of the students at Braxton Hall in peace. Just the thought of no more Dayden Johnston and his cocky friends and stuck up girl friends was enough to put a bounce back into River's step. 'Just two more weeks,' she thought to herself, 'and then she could truly relax... well... relax as much as it was possible for someone whose father was labeled 'still missing in action.'

River along with the rest of the seniors only had to attend morning classes. After lunch all students would be called to the auditorium where the Announcement Ceremony would take place. Because the seniors had late lunch, the ceremony would take up the rest of the afternoon, ending when classes finished for the day. River found her morning classes seemed to drag on forever. All anyone could talk about was the Fly Boys - even the teachers were caught up in the frenzy.

When the lunch bell finally rang, River quickly made her way to her locker. All the senior lockers were located in the Main Hall, the most popular section of the school. However, because River started at Braxton Hall two months later than everyone else, her locker was located at the end of the junior hall; a remote area located on the upper level. For once she was happy with her misfortune. She could take her time and not have to put up with the annoying, jittery excitement that was rolling through the majority of the seniors on this special day. She decided to dart down to the cafe and buy a sandwich and drink and then return to her locker to eat it, just so she could get away from the nonstop Fly Boy chatter.

River should have known that for her, nothing was ever easy. Misfortune, bad luck, bad karma - it didn't matter what it was called - it had a habit of finding her, no matter where she tried to hide. This time it came in the shape and size of Dayden Johnston, who joined the lunch line right behind River. He was followed by his posse of popular senior jerks and jerkettes. River hadn't noticed them as she hunted for a desirable, pre-wrapped sandwich. Unfortunately by the time she had chosen the perfect peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a certain somebody was gazing down at her and blocking her from any and all escape routes. If she stepped right, he stepped with her. Same if she stepped left, so too did Dayden. River's mouth dropped open and her eyes grew huge as she realized that he was not letting her leave.

For his part Dayden ignored all of his friends who were presently trying to include him in their conversations. "Hey Dayden do you think there will be any surprises this year?" "Day - dude, who do you think won't make the cut this year?" "Dayden babe, do you think anyone will choose someone else's mate?" All great questions, but none of which Dayden chose to answer. He was absorbed in a stare down and dance with River and at first no one else seemed to notice. River looked like a deer caught in headlights. She couldn't figure out what he was up to and when her question joined all the others: "Dayden what do you think you are doing?" Dayden chose not to answer her either.

River's heart rate immediately spiked, moving dangerously close to heart attack zone, she was sure. She couldn't figure out what Dayden was up to. She wanted to slap him and tell him to snap out of it, but just as her anger started to heat up, he moved in even closer until both his hands landed on either side of her grasping the lunch rail behind her. She was caught. She could not back up and she could not move left or right. She could do nothing but look up into Dayden's gorgeous caramel colored eyes. Wait... did she just think gorgeous?