Chapter 3

I have uploaded a picture of Scotty Adams on the right.  

Chapter 3

River practically spent her entire weekend in her room. She went for food at odd times. For instance, on Saturday morning she went for breakfast at 7 a.m., right when the cafe opened. She did this knowing most of the students would dribble in at the last possible minute, closer to 10 a.m. when the cafe closed, to start preparations for lunch. This actually worked out well for River considering she never ate dinner Friday night and so was starving by Saturday morning. At breakfast she bought extra fruit and yogurt, which got her through lunch and then she went down for an early dinner. She executed the same game plan on Sunday and managed to avoid a certain group of seniors for the entire weekend.

On Monday morning River hit the cafe early and then hid in the back of the library to eat her breakfast. Over the long, boring weekend she got caught up on all of her homework, managing to get ahead in most classes. With a jittery feeling she made it to first period just as the school bell rang. She sat quietly and listened mostly unnoticed by the other seniors, as they rambled on and on about all the Fly Boy drama that had taken place over the weekend. Apparently girls who had considered themselves guaranteed mate-material were starting to have doubts and Fly Boys who were convinced their selection would be an easy one, were starting to second guess themselves. Everyone was on edge and even the most easy-going had developed short fuses.

River managed to fly under the radar for the most part, right up until her last morning class. When she walked into English she noticed Scotty seated at the desk next to hers. She knew he was waiting for her because normally he sat at the back of the class. She nervously made her way to her desk, immediately sitting down when she got there. She pretended not to notice Scotty as she tried to look busy rummaging through her knapsack. 

He refused to go unnoticed though. He cocked his head to the side, pursed his lips and then leaned in close and drummed his fingers loudly on the top of her desk to get her attention. 

No longer able to pretend he wasn't there, she turned to look at him. Scotty instantly broke out into a huge smile as he said, "Hey."  At the same time he nodded his chin in her direction, a signature move of his that definitely added to his cool factor. 

She gave him a nervous half smile as she replied with her own, "Hey." Only hers was more of a question than a greeting. He was making her very nervous. 

Scotty immediately leaned in and with a soft, low voice he spoke directly into her ear, "We need to talk. Wait for me after class and we'll head into town for lunch." He didn't ask, he told her and he didn't wait for her answer either. He just gave her a confident look as he stood up, then squeezed her shoulder as if they had come to some sort of agreement and then strode to the back of the class to take his regular seat. 

Chills ran down River's spine as she immediately wondered what had just happened. Somehow she had agreed, without even opening her mouth, to go with Scotty into town for lunch. Why did he need to speak to her so badly? She suddenly felt sick. The only students even allowed off school grounds at lunch time were seniors and even then, most seniors found the half hour lunch was too short to go all the way into town. Usually the only ones who bothered were those who either had a spare before lunch or one just after. The rest of the seniors only went to town on weekends and they either had to be rich enough to own their own car or have a friend who owned one. 

When the lunch bell rang, River practically flew out of her seat. Still, she was not as quick as Scotty, who somehow managed to beat her to the exit. He was waiting for her with an evil grin as she tried to sneak out. He latched on to her arm as he suggested, "Let's get out of here." He did not wait for her reply. He just pulled her at a high rate of speed, down the main hall and out the exit door located at the side of the school closest to the parking lot.