The Billionaire's Housekeeper Chapter 2

As Mr Davenport's footsteps retreated, Betsy felt like she was in an alternative reality. Her stomach was still full of butterflies but it was difficult to know if it was due to the overwhelming presence of Mr Davenport himself or trepidation about what lay ahead.

A week ago she never would have imagined she would be here, in a mansion staring down at two dirty faced children. Then again, things had been so very different a week ago. She had been happy in her little flat and completely oblivious to the fact her life was about to be derailed. 

Two sets of eyes were watching her intently. It drew Betsy from her thoughts and had her shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot. She quickly locked up her muscles.  Don't show fear, Betsy thought, they can sense it. She was sure the nature program had been talking about vicious animals but these children were just as terrifying. The rule had to apply to them too.

They were standing side by side, smiles pasted on their adorable faces. If it wasn't for the evidence surrounding them, Betsy would have assumed they were both completely incapable of any wrong doing. They looked angelic – minus the egg and flour at least.

Dragging her eyes away from the children, Betsy glanced over at the older woman. In the absence of Mr Davenport, Ms Reed had released her shoulder from the firm grip and was now propped up against the breakfast bar. Her face was pale and in the lines of her face, tiredness was plain to see.

Trying not to frown, Betsy offered a smile. "Hi, I'm Betsy."

Ms Reed smiled back, weariness evident in the slump of her shoulders and the way she clung on to the counter for support. "I'm Mabel."

"It's nice to meet you, Mabel."

"Let me just catch my breath love and I'll be right with you. I'm not as young as I used to be." The white haired woman said as she fanned her face with her hand.

"Not a problem." 

Allowing the woman time to recuperate, Betsy turned away from Ms Reed and took in the kitchen with awe. Underneath the mess and grime, she could see the makings of a beautiful kitchen. It was everything she had always dreamed about but never thought she could actually see in person. And the sheer size of it was at least five times the size of the galley kitchen in her flat.

"DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT."

Betsy's feet left the floor she was startled so badly and her ears rung from the volume of Ms Reed's voice. With wide eyes, she glanced over her shoulder at the older woman but Mabel's focus was wholly on the two children. In her distraction, the two Davenport children had moved so they stood less than a foot away.

When Mabel raised a single brow in their direction, both yelped and a moment later there was a splat.  Bits of gooey egg and shells littered the floor around their feet. Their eyes darted towards the newest member of the household before ducking their heads and scuffing their feet on the floor. Guilt clung to them like a second skin.

"My sister didn't mention there would be two children or that they were so..." Betsy paused trying to think of the right word.

"Lively? Yes, there are not many words which can be used to describe these two." Mabel frowned down at the two children, finally standing up of her own volition with her hands planted on her hips. "Unfortunately, I am too old to keep up with the two dears and the last housekeeper-."

Intrigued, Betsy rolled forwards on to the balls of her feet. She knew it was none of her business and yet she couldn't stop her mouth from opening and the words from spilling out. "What about the last housekeeper?"

Mabel shook her head. "That's better left unspoken. I will advise you of this. Mr Davenport values the privacy of his family above all else. The last housekeeper broke his trust in the worst way possible. Do not break his trust."