The Billionaire's Housekeeper - Chapter 32

Nick had never before felt like he needed a holiday to get over a holiday. Yet after a long weekend in the seaside resort of Butlins, with too much noise and too many people, Nick was ready for a week of rest and relaxation. But there would be no rest and no relaxation.

Dropping the case to the floor with one hand and keeping Delilah close to his chest with the other, he turned just in time to watch Betsy step through the doorway.

Dark circles were beginning to form under her eyes from three long days of ceaseless activity, her shoulders stooped from weariness. Yet despite her obvious exhaustion, there was a glow about her too. A glow that made him wish that he could close the gap between them, brush away the few loose curls which had escaped her top knot and then steal a kiss from her soft lips.

His eyes were drawn to them in an instant. Nick had never before craved a kiss so much but, after being deprived of her lips, he felt like a starving man whose hunger could only be sated by the taste of her. The taste of Betsy. It's the way the world worked; when you're told you cannot have something, it only make you want it more. And Nick wanted her - even if she was wearing dungarees and an ugly pair of lime green Crocs on her feet.

Betsy's lips twitched up into a smile as she met his gaze before she snuggled Tommy closer to her, resting her cheek on top of his head. Unwilling to let go of him, she used her croc clad foot to gently close the door behind her.

"They're out of it." She murmured, her eyes full of warmth as she peered down at the tired children. "Let's get them up to bed."

"You lead the way," Nick replied softly.

Ever so carefully she made her way up the staircase, her arms gently cradling his son to her chest. He had never seen her look so – peaceful. Betsy was a maternal person. She had a way with children that was natural and easy. It was a beautiful for him to watch. He just hated to see the lingering sadness that, even now, lingered in her eyes. It was dimmer than when they first met, but nothing could completely erase the void of losing a child. He just wished he could wave a magical wand and fix everything for her. Even if he could find a way to give her what she truly wanted, a family of her own, it would feel like he had managed to do some good in the word.

The bedtime routine went a lot smoother than either of them planned. Delilah gave soft little snores even as he placed her down on her bed, removed her shoes, and then pulled the covers up to her chin. Unable to resist, Nick swept some of her auburn hair out of her face before leaning down and placing a kiss on her forehead.

"Night, Princess."

He received a little snore in response. Straightening up, Nick smiled as Betsy did the same with Tommy. Or at least attempted to. His little fingers had clenched around the fabric of her top and no amount of gentle cajoling would get him to release his hold.

"See, even he doesn't want you to go." Nick murmured, walking up beside her. He was close – too close. If he moved forwards just an inch more he could brush his arm against hers. It would be so easy to do. But there were boundaries. He had to respect her boundaries.

Betsy sucked in a sharp breath and Nick knew it wasn't due to their proximity. His stomach suddenly felt like he had swallowed a stone. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that. It's just...I haven't had the heart to tell them you're moving out. I guess I still don't want to admit it to myself."

Reaching out, Nick gently wrapped his fingers around his son's clenched fists. Slowly he pried the material free, releasing Betsy from his hold. She stepped away from the bed, backing into his body so that the entire length of her body was pressed against his chest. He could feel her freeze for a moment, and he almost thought that she was going to walk away. But then, with a weary sigh, Betsy melted back into him.