Chapter 4: New Friends

I couldn't believe it. All these years, I thought I was right. But somehow, it felt fantastic to be wrong. "Hey." He said, with a warm smile. His voice was sweet, like a blue, flowing river. I was speechless. "H-hello.." I somehow managed to sputter. "I guess I'm not the only one, huh?" He said, chuckling slightly. I couldn't take my eyes off him. I was in some kind of trance. "Right." I replied. I could barely hear myself. "Well, I gotta go get my 'registration papers' and what not. You know, new kid stuff." He smiled even bigger. All I could manage was to slightly nod my head. It's like he was hypnotizing me with his eyes. His eyes.. He walked past me. I turned my head and looked over my shoulder. He waved and continued walking. I turned my head back around. "I'm not alone." I said to myself. "I'm not alone!" I exclaimed, even louder this time. I ran, shouting Rebecca's name at the top of my lungs. I almost crashed into her, but her hands met my shoulder, as she held me back. "Oh god, Sabrina! What now?" She asked, her eyes bulging out of their sockets. "He- I- just.." I started sputtering in between exasperated panting. "What, what? Sabrina! Just spit it out!" She shouted at me, sounding slightly annoyed with me. "I'm not alone." Was all I could say. We looked at each other for a few seconds. "What?" She finally asked, a look of confusion sprawled across her face. "There's someone new here." I smiled as I spoke. "Why should we care?" Rebecca asked, raising an eyebrow. "Oh Rebecca.. You'll know when you see him.." I said, with a sigh. "See who?" She asked. I scanned the hallway. I couldn't find him. Hmm.. I thought. All of a sudden, Rebecca's eyes lit up. I was puzzled. "S-Sabrina.." Rebecca began, giggling. "There's someone behind you." She started smiling like an idiot. I turned around. Of course. Of course it was him. "Hey." He told me. "Got my papers." He said, holding up clumps of assorted colored paper. "Th-that's good..." I sputtered. Stop stuttering, Sabrina. You're making a fool of yourself. I thought. "Sorry, I never actually introduced myself. My name's Jason." Jason. I thought. He stared at me for a few seconds. He looked like he was expecting something. I didn't know what it was, I was just amazed he was looking right at me, with his brilliant, multicolored eyes. My short trance was interrupted, as he spoke again. "And you..?" He asked, chuckling slightly. I could hear Rebecca cracking up behind me. "Sabrina!" I yelled at him. "Whoa, volume!" He answered, laughing all the way through. "Sabrina, huh? That's a nice name." He finished off his laughter with a sweet smile. I could hear Rebecca's footsteps, as she walked backwards away from us. I guess she supposed we needed "privacy." Whatever. I didn't want her lingering around, cracking up because of my dumb trance thing. "Th-thank you.." I said, smiling. "Hey, so uh.. Do you know this guy named Cody? He's a real piece of work." He said, seeming slightly aggrivated. "Cody?" I asked. Crap, not this idiot again... Why does he always pop up in conversations? I thought. "Yeah, well he's a jerk. I asked him where the English classroom is, and he just said 'find someone who cares.' Like, who says that to a new kid!?" I was so perplexed. This wasn't the Cody I knew. What has Alyssa done to him? "I Hate him.." I said. Tears started forming in my eyes. Oh no.. Not in front of him.. I thought. "Sabrina?" He asked. Concern came across his face. I just wanted to melt into his arms.. I bet he could help. I thought. My thought were interrupted. "Did he do something to you?" Jason asked. His smile faded away. I wanted it to come back. It was no use lying to him. What have I got to lose, anyway? "He cheated on me." Jason's face turned pale. He looked stunned. "Wh-what?" He sputtered. Funny, I never imagined the guy with a voice like a river to sputter. "Kissed another girl, right in front of me. Just yesterday." I said. I looked down at the ground. Here come the tears. I didn't even fight them back. I watched as the rolled off my face, and landed on the tile floors. I hand touched my shoulder. My head sprang up. A tear was welling up in Jason's eye. "Sabrina.. I'm so, so sorry." He told me. The sympathy in his voice was unimaginable. For a moment, I thought he was even more heartbroken than me. "Jason it's- it's fine. Really." I told him, wiping away a tear and smiling weakly. What happened next couldn't be put into words. Jason wrapped his long, thin arms around me. I felt like crashing straight to the ground. My chest burned. There was a whole bonfire going on in my heart, because of this one guy. All I could notice, was that I've never felt like this in my life. Not even with Cody. He lifted his head from my shoulder. His nose barely scraped mine, that's how close we were. "I'm sorry." He said. A tears slithered down his cheek. I wiped it away with my thumb, I couldn't help it. I couldn't see him cry. Anyone but him. "Its okay. I quite enjoyed it actually." I said. Beaming like an idiot. His eyes lit up. "How about I see you at the corner cafe, 5:00?"  He asked me, smirking. He just asked me out. I thought. I felt like I was flying. I was sitting right on top of cloud nine, completely speechless. "See you then." Normally, I would push him away, and sassily walk off, but I wasn't even going to try to play hard to get with this guy. I hung on to him like a fish on a hook. It was he that pushed me away. "Great, see you then." He said, grinning wickedly from ear to ear. He turned right around, and walked away. With just a touch of sass thrown in, if I may add.