Chapter Three

The pool lobby was a common hotspot for the employees seeking refuge before being sent off to hell, otherwise known as work. Plush armchairs were set up everywhere, surrounding quaint coffee tables with stacks of old magazines piled on top to satisfy their boredom. Too bad they were of no use.

The air conditioning was on full blast. Kim could hear the rumbles underlying the buzz of conversation, and she felt the breeze run along her bare skin. Besides being a place to relax before work, the lobby was great to catch up with friends, latest drama, and others.

But for Kim—the lobby was a reminder of what she had to endure before she got to the light at the end of the tunnel, if she ever made it. The prospect seemed less likely as each day passed, each ripping another shred of her away with it.

"Kim, have you been listening to me?" Chris waved a hand in front of her face. "I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall."

She rested her head in the palm of her hand. She couldn't help her absentmindedness; the anticipation of possibly seeing him had overtaken all her thoughts and dissolved them into thin air. Add that to the four hours of sleep she got last night, and the end result was a very moody Kim. But her tiredness wasn't her fault. Savannah had been over till two in the morning, and she hadn't had the heart to kick her out. Not when her best friend was her only rock keeping her afloat.

"Sorry," Kim apologized, blinking rapidly to push away the waves of slumber. "What did you say?"

Chris only looked amused. "I wanted to ask you if you were going to the beachside party."

"Oh." Thornville wasn't popular for many things, but among the teens, their beachside parties were commodities. Alcohol was always present, all the teenagers went, and combined with the serene setting of the waves against the shore, she could see the allure. "Damn. I have no idea. Savannah hasn't mentioned anything about it."

"You don't need Savannah's permission to go."

"I know, but she is my best friend. I don't want to show up and be a loner. So...I don't know. Are you?"

"Haven't decided yet," Chris said. He checked the time on his phone before looking at her again. "It's not really my scene."

"Then why are you teasing me for not wanting to go?" Her tone was accusatory, and she straightened in her seat, setting her palms on the armrests.

The tips of his mouth curved upward. "Just reminding you that if you really want to go, you can. They can be sort of fun."

"I know." She'd been to a few in the past—most of them with Connor. "Or they can be complete disasters."

She stretched her arms over her head and loosed a breath at the sound of her back cracking. She felt so sore constantly nowadays; a personal day was going to be necessary soon. Throwing her head back into the pillow, she asked, "What time is it?"

"Ten minutes to six," he answered without looking at his phone.

Kim sighed. Leaving the pool lobby didn't sound enticing to her, especially when she remembered what lay ahead. Her shift began in ten minutes—only ten minutes remained of her freedom.

"I should head out." Chris slapped his hands on his thighs and rose swiftly. His gaze flickered to hers as he realized she wasn't moving. "You coming?"

"Not yet," Kim protested. She wanted to salvage all the spare time she had. "I'll go soon."

"Okay." He offered a lopsided grin as he made to leave. "See you in one piece later."