Chapter Ten

Kim and Connor had remained in each other's arms for a good half hour before she'd pulled back, sniffing and teary-eyed, and asked to be driven home. He'd been completely understanding about the entire thing, and he'd dropped her off after making sure she was okay and promising to call her again later.

When Kim wandered into the living room, her dad was already there, feet kicked up onto the coffee table, watching a rerun of a cooking show. He hadn't heard her entrance, as he hadn't turned around, so she hovered in the doorway. The lump in her throat hadn't disappeared, and she had to swallow back the tears to say, "You shouldn't put your feet up there."

He turned at the sound of her voice, but at the sight of her red-rimmed eyes, he reeled back. His feet flew off the table in a blur, and he scrambled off the couch and over to her, his face creased in concern. "Are you okay?" He pressed a hand to her forehead, to her cheeks, even though they still had the residue of tears left behind. "What's wrong?" The anxiety in his voice couldn't be ignored, and a part of her hated herself for making him worry like this.

"Noth—"

"Was it your mother?" her dad pressed, urgency sinking into his words. "I'll have a word with her right away. Who does she think she is to make you feel this way?" He started towards the nearest cell phone when she reached out to grab him by the arm.

"It wasn't Mom," Kim choked out. "The lunch date was fine."

"Then what—?"

"It's nothing, Dad." She only imagined how she looked, lip quivering and body shaking. "I promise."

"That's"—he considered his wording for a moment—"bull. Kim, I know you're not okay. You look like you've been sobbing."

"That's because I have." Her voice lowered, trembling only slightly. "But it's not a big deal." He opened his mouth to argue, but she cut him off, her voice hard, "It isn't. Dad, you can't fix this. This is something I need to figure out myself."

Her dad huffed out a breath. She knew that seeing her upset only made him feel worse, but there was nothing he could do. This was between her and Connor—no one else. She needed to be the one to tie their loose ends back together. It was the only way they'd be able to come full circle again.

"You sure?"

"Positive." Kim pasted on a white-lipped smile. "I got this, Dad."

His hands gripped her shoulders as he nodded, more reassurance for himself than anything. "Okay." He wrapped his arms around her tightly, and that was all she needed from him. The assurance in knowing he was there by her side.

She'd never been much of a hugger. Obviously, that could change in a measly few hours.

***

Kim had spent the night speaking with Savannah over the phone, needing the reassurance of someone who understood her situation in the way her dad never could. Her best friend had been attentive through it all, offered advice when needed, and left Kim feeling lighter than she had all day.

She mentally prepared herself for today, knowing that she'd have to face Connor again. This would change everything. It could make or break whatever they were.

Throughout her shift, she couldn't help stealing glances at him, watching him interact with the kids around or the other lifeguards. He was so charismatic he charmed the socks off anyone in a mile radius, and she knew now that she missed that. She missed his positivity, his sense of humor, his everything.