Chapter TWENTY

When I get home there's a note from FedEx that they've left a package with Electra. I knock on her back door. "You have something for me?"

"Come on in. I'm so curious! There's a package and a letter that was overnighted. The letter is from New Zealand."

"What?"

"Do you know somebody there?"

"Kind of. My other dad." I follow her into the kitchen, which smells like chocolate baking. "Is that brownies I smell?"

"It is." She hands me the flat overnight letter, wrapped in official FedEx International packaging. The handwriting is typical man-style, kind of rushed and not all that neat, but the look of it is kind of...foreign, I guess, with a different slant, a slightly different way of making letters. I touch them, and a memory goes through me: whispering, trees blowing outside classroom windows, the mountains in the background. Far away. Long ago.

His name is right there. Keiran Pears. "I found him on Facebook," I tell Electra. "We started talking a little bit. I can't believe he sent me something."

"Open it up, girl!"

I open the letter first. Inside, an envelope is taped to a package wrapped in balloon birthday paper. The card has my name on it. It's a birthday card for a little kid, with bears and balloons on the front. He's written on the inside.

Dear Jess. I've missed a lot of birthdays, so give me this chance to make up for that a little bit. This will make it easier for us to talk to each other. I set up an account for you with a local phone company. You won't have to pay anything. That's the least I can do. Once you get it up and going, send me a text at 011-67-03-51-983. Love, Dad.

I read it aloud to Electra, then turn my attention to the package. The package is from Apple, and my heart rushes with anticipation. Using the knife Electra gives me to slit the paper, I get it open.

My mouth falls open. "An iPad? Is it really?"

"Open it and see."

It's the real thing. Sleek and black, the most elegant thing I've ever owned. "Wow." I take out the instruction leaflet and press the button the way it tells me to. The screen comes on and I follow the instructions, one at time, until the main screen shows up. Ready to go.

I find the message icon and type in the number. And text OMG! I can't believe you sent me an iPad!!!!!!!!!!! It's the nicest thing I've ever owned!

In two seconds a ding tells me he's texted back. You got it! That's great! Hope you like it.

I do, I do, I do. I'll have my bf help me set up Skype, too.

When can we talk face to face? I'm so excited to see you in person!

Suddenly shy, I look at Electra. "I'm kind of freaked out by this. Is it weird? What if there's something wrong with him? Like, why did we lose touch?"

"Seems to me he's a lot of miles away, so you're safe enough right now. Can't hurt to talk."

"You're right."

I text back. I'm pretty open Thursday. Can we try then?

What time is it there now?

3:45 pm

What if I talked you thru Skype download? Can you talk now?

I look at Electra, who is sitting down at her table, making a grocery list. "He wants to help me download Skype and talk." I widen my eyes. "Right now."

Her dark eyes are calm. "Do you want to?"

I take a breath. "I'm nervous! But...yeah. I think I do."