Chapter 1 (Final Edit)

• Dedicated to To anyone who wanted something different and unique.

(Author Notes: This idea came to me long ago and has been in the works for over two years. I have been trying to make my place as an author with this very novel. This story was rewritten four times--mainly to scale back the violence.

For now I would like to get some kind of feedback on what you think about the story. All my knowledge, love and effort was poured into this novel and I hope you feel and enjoy it as much as I do. Please give me your honest opinion about the chapter in a comment.)

Chapter 1

Wedged between tall stone buildings and cobble streets slept a large grassy field covered with small trees. Swings sets, slides and other equipment dominated one side of the playground. Sandboxes and a very tiny pond filled the opposite side. Children laughed at one another while daring each other into jumping off the swings. Others chased their new-found friends through hidden tunnels. Parents strolled throughout the entire playground—keeping a keen eye on their beloved children. Some parents relaxed on small benches speaking proudly of their children’s many accomplishments. A mother looked away from her conversation after hearing her daughter call for her. The mother’s smile slowly drifted away when she spotted a lone child nearing the playground.

“It’s Ezra.” She muttered. The woman she was talking to turned to see if it was true.

Ezra, dressed in a plain t-shirt and blue jeans, walked the path leading to the playground. Brushing hair away from his face he couldn’t help but feel ashamed of his appearance. His clothes may not have been much, but they were the best he could find. Even with holes in his shoes and a tear on the side of his shirt, he tried his best to ignore his difference—but he could not.

“Watch out.” A man whispered to another parent while they moved away from Ezra.

Ezra raised his head to see the many people around him. His eyes filled with sorrow while adults, even children his own age, avoided him. He lowered his head to hide his watery eyes. Pretending he was tired, Ezra secretly wiped away a teardrop from his face. Parents called for their children in order to leave. The few that remained kept their hateful eyes on Ezra as he neared a play set. The sound of childish laughter quietly died to a faint hum of whispers. Ezra stopped next to rope ladder leading into the play set. Ezra looked up to find a boy staring at him through the cracks of a fake fence.

Ezra hesitated before asking, “Can I join you?” The boy whipped his head to the side after hearing his father call to him. Getting to his feet he walked away without giving Ezra a second glance.

Ezra looked around to see every child staring at him. Still playing their games or running about, they continued to keep a sharp eye on him. Ignoring their burning stares, Ezra climbed up the small ladder. Setting foot on the platform he listened to their little feet scatter. A small plastic tile fiercely spun in circles after a child dashed away from it. Ezra watched it slow to a squeaky halt. Its noise reminded him of the dark laughter he heard in his dreams. Turning away he headed towards a wooden bridge. Hearing his footsteps echo beneath him he caught a girl around his age staring at him. Leaning against the metal railing she propped herself up on her folded arms. She stared at Ezra without any emotion. Ezra stared back as he approached her. The girl did not move. Ezra wondered why she would not run away. All he ever knew was the sight of people running away. Running away from his dangerous secret. Why would someone challenge this fact? Why now? Ezra stopped a few feet away from her. The two stared at one another in silence. Ezra thought of what to say since this was the first time anyone—besides the hospital staff—had allowed him to get so close.

“Why aren’t you running?” Ezra asked in a sad voice. “Everyone does.” He waited for an answer. The girl continued to stare. “You don’t think it’s scary?”