Chapter 3: Downhill

"Maybe, I would like it if we got married on the beach I'm not sure though, because it's always really windy and the sand hurts, and it's either really hot or really cold, and what if some kind of weird sea monster comes out of the water and tries to eat everyone" I say frantically as I finish tying my running shoes. Kerry and I used to run together on the track team in Middle and High School, now we run at the local park together every now and then, whenever she's not busy. "Lena I promise you there are no sea creatures that will ruin your wedding. You're freaking out for nothing, really." she says. "You never know..." I say. "Okay if it does happen I promise you I will personally kick that sea creatures ass for ruining my best-friends special day!" she says laughing.

Kerry is a best-friend of mine we've been best-friends since grade six. We knew each other before then but we didn't really like each other the first few years we met. It wasn't until my ninth birthday party that we finally got close. I remember first meeting her like it was yesterday she was our new next door neighbor and my mom thought it would be a good idea to invite her to my party when she found out she was in the same grade as me. It sucked because Sterling couldn't come because his family went on a vacation to the Silverwood theme park in Idaho. I honestly didn't want her to come because I didn't know her and she was moving into the house next to us, which would have been fine but my old best friend Samantha lived in that house. Their family had to move because both her parents were in the military and were stationed out of the country to some place I couldn't even pronounce. We hated each other at the party, but a few years later we ended up wearing the same outfit and after that we were the best of friends. I admit now I wish I would have just been nice to her at the party, but hey we're best friends forever now and that's all that matters.

"I highly doubt you could do that Kerr Bear, you're way to nice, you'd probably just beg it not to get your hair wet" I quip. She hates that name but I like messing with her. "Ha-ha, very funny, let's start running I checked the weather and I think a storm is coming in a few hours" she says. I look up into the sky "Oh yeah I think I remember getting an update about that!" I tell her."Welp, shall we?" she asks. We stand up and begin running through the local park. Kerry clears her throat and catches up her breathing "But no seriously have you guys even been talking about the specifics? Aren't you two planning on having your wedding in what - five months?" she asks worriedly.

 "Well to be honest Kerry, we haven't... I mean its not like we don't talk about it because we do!" I proclaim as I momentarily mistime my breathing, gosh it's been a while since I've ran. Kerry looks at me sternly. "We really haven't talked about much other than how excited we were to get married, but we still have five months we're going to get there we just never really have time to talk because he works all day and when he gets off he's usually tired and I don't want him to be grumpy the next day because of me. It's just that I know he needs his sleep because he is always on the go, to and from meetings, and travelling and stuff..."

Kerry looks at me reassuringly "You're just nervous. Don't be nervous sweetie, you're right, like you said you do have five months... It's just that I've known you both for a long time Lena. So I know how you procrastinate and Sterling will be too busy with work to make sure you're keeping everything on track. I really don't want you to end up pushing the date back for years, I've been trying to stay in shape up until the planned wedding date so I don't look like a cow in your wedding pictures. I know it's your day and all but I want to look gorgeous too you know!" she says huffing. "Oh please you have nothing to worry about you've been a size six your entire life!" I declare. "Actually I'm a size eight girlfriend, but that's besides the point. You guys really don't have that long, and I don't think you want me to personally decide everything for you." she says. My eyes shoot open "Uhm no I don't think that will be necessary, I promise tonight I'll bring up starting the planning maybe a beach weddi-". I stop hearing my phone ring "You should answer that. Could be the sea creature telling you not to have your wedding on the beach." she laughs. "Of course." I answer the phone noticing it's my mom. "Hey mom, how are you?" I ask. "Hey babygirl..." my mother stifles. A cloud of worry hovers over me. My mom only calls me babygirl when something is wrong. "Mom are you okay?" I ask alarmed.