Chapter 16: Homecoming

"I don't mean to pry sweetheart but is everything alright with you and Sterling?" my mum asks lowering her voice. "What makes you ask that?" I say taken by surprise. "I know I probably sound crazy and maybe I am. But lately you just don't sound the same. You don't ever sound as happy as you normally do." she says. "Mom, I am what are you talking about? Why would you think I wasn't?" I ask as a twinge of annoyance and surprise radiates through me causing my eyebrows to furrow together. I've been pretending to be completely normal? How would she notice, is it obvious?

"I've been your mother for over twenty years now and I know when something is bothering you. I completely understand if something is going on that you don't want to talk about but I just want to make sure you're okay. I might be getting old and going a little crazier each day but I know when my baby is going through something and you sound like you're going through something and it's like you're trying to keep whatever it is from me." she says troubled. "I'm not keeping anything from you. I promise mom. I'm fine, nothing is going on, besides what I've told you - life is only a little more stressful than the usual right now." I say crossing my fingers. Technically that wasn't a lie I guess.

"Well... It's just odd that you seemed so worried that Sterling was gone the day that he left and now that he's almost here you talk so tensely about him and change our conversations to something else like you're trying to distract me." she explains. What the heck? It's like she knows? Just try to play it off... "Mom. You really are reading into this too much." I say laughing at her as casually as possible. I hope that didn't sound too fake. "Now I know something is up!" she declares. "What?" I ask hoping she didn't catch on to that. "You just gave me your fake laugh. Don't try to play it off. You've giving me that laugh since you were twelve." she states.

If only I could freeze time to try to think of what to say. "Okay mom can you just tell me what it is that you think is going on?" I ask hoping to give myself time to think of something believable. "I'm not one hundred percent sure but I think it has something to do with you and Sterling. First of all you would normally be ecstatic that he's coming back from a week long business trip, since you haven't been able to see him or really talk to him." she says. "What makes you think I'm not happy that he's coming back?" I ask. "You haven't been talking about him the same. Not to mention you haven't even mentioned him once, since he first left. At least not without me bringing him up first and even then you kind of shrug off any conversation of him." she says.

"Mom I've been more than happy that he's coming back! I told you life's just a bit more stressful than usual I've been working on my book and I don't know what to do next an-" I lie. "Are you and Sterling going through a rough patch?" she asks completely ignoring me. "No mom we are completely fine." I say aggravated at her persistence. "Wait a minute, is he actually cheating on you? Is that why you asked me about your father and I cheating on each other?" she gasps. "No mom! I told you we are fine! I'd really appreciate if you'd just mind your own business okay?" I exclaim. That was a bit rude but I hope it was enough for her to leave it alone.

"Well excuse me but I thought your business was my business. Don't forget I am your mother and I'd appreciate it if you watch your tone with me young lady. Just because you're older now doesn't mean you can talk to me any way that you would like, stress or no stress. I highly doubt you'd talk to your father like this." she declares. "I apologize..." I say. A small bridge of silence builds itself until I hear someone in the background call out to my mom. "I don't like it when you're not happy, that's all sweetie - I love you." she says calmly. "I know... I love you too mom." I trail off hearing the voice again. "I need to go check on your father he's calling me from the other room. If there's anything you need or want to talk to me about I'm all ears honey and I'm always one call away." she says.