I'm Never The One- Chapter 14

Kaitlyn's POV

It's been a week or so since Vicki died and everyone seems to have moved on, but I can't. She haunts my dreams every night. Even when I close my eyes, I see her dying all over again. I blame myself that she's dead because Damon only staked her to save me.

I haven't seen Damon since that night and this time it's not me avoiding him. He refuses to see me. He claims it's safer this way.

That's a load of bull crap. I'm in this screwed up world and I'm bound to get hurt and have my life on the line. He staying away doesn't change that. He should be with me and protecting me from danger not running away. He makes me so angry! Why is it my relationship with Damon is like this, but Stefan and Elena's is unicorns and rainbows?

Right now I'm sitting in my living room drowning my sorrows in popcorn, while Elena is over at the Boarding House with her boyfriend. I angrily throw my popcorn at the television and storm out of the house.

Why does everyone deserve to be happy except me? I always get the short end of the stick. Elena gets everything. If the universe isn't going to change anything I am. I'm going to convince Damon that the only way I'm going to be safe is if I'm with him.

I knock on the Boarding House door and when I don't get an answer storm into the house. What I see is not what I was expecting: a blonde girl in a towel.

"Who are you?" I ask irritated. Did he really move on already?

"Lexi," she answers. "And you're..."

"Kaitlyn."

"Oh, the other doppelganger. The one who acts more like Katherine right?" she questions innocently.

"I'm nothing like that bitch!" I shout.

"Sure...I see why Damon likes you," she smiles.

"How do you know Damon? Are you and him..."

"No! Well, one time...but that's another story. I know it doesn't seem like it, but Damon loves you. He's upstairs pouting in his room. I'm glad to see someone's gotten him to move on from Katherine," she says, then walks down the hall probably to get clothed.

I slowly walk up the stairs and approach Damon's door. What Lexi said really got through to me. Damon has loved the same woman since 1864. He must really love me if I'm the only person he's cared about in all that time.

I knock on his door softly and open it to see Damon coming out of the shower. Naked.

I cover my eyes and scream. I stumble to the ground trying to find my way to the doorway without being aided by my sight. "Towel, Damon!" I yell.

"It's nothing you haven't seen before," he smirks and I groan.

"Please," I whisper, but get no response. Suddenly, someone kneels beside me and pulls my hands away from my eyes. I open them hesitantly, but sigh in relief when I notice Damon covered himself with a towel.

He stands up and offers me his hand which I take without argument. He hoists me to my feet and guides me to his bed where we sit down. "What are you doing here, Kate?"

"I missed you," I whisper, tracing his abs absentmindedly.

He quickly grabs my hand stopping me. "I told you. The only way to protect you is if I stay out of your life."

"You're wrong. The only way to protect me is to actually stay by my side and protect me. Not run away. If you want to keep me safe start acting like a boyfriend," I tell him, placing my hands behind his neck.

"You just called me your boyfriend," he smiles.

"I'm sorry," I apologize, pulling my hands away.