I'm Never The One- Chapter 28

Damon's POV

I enter the Lockwood mansion with my brother at my side. Elena's worried about his bloodlust and as of lately, so am I. He seems jittery and on edge, which is not a good combination when it comes to Stefan.

"I shouldn't be here," Stefan says, his eyes sweeping the room nervously. I was thinking the exact same thing earlier, but right now this seems like the best idea. If I keep Stefan at my side at all times, he'll be less likely to go Ripper. Maybe the twins will even be able to distract him from his blood craving. I'm trying to be optimistic.

"Come on, Steffy," I say cheerfully. My own voice makes me cringe. Stefan is supposed to be the happy-go-lucky type, not me. "It's the Founder Kick-off party. It would be rude to skip since we are a founding family."

"I liked it better when you hated everyone," Stefan growls under his breath.

"Oh, I still hate them. I just can't have both of us being downers. So, how you feeling? No cravings or urges?" I ask him. I focus on his expressions intently hoping he'll slip up and give something away. Nothing. "We are who we are. You can't change that."

Stefan laughs. "You would love nothing more than for me to give up, would you, Damon?"

"It's inevitable," I remind him.

Stefan shakes his head at me and walks towards the backyard. "I'm going to go find one of the twins."

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do, brother!" I shout after him.

Kaitlyn's POV

Elena and I just arrived at the Founders Kick-off and she ran off to track down Stefan. I don't know what's going on with them; if they're back together or not. I don't know what's going on with me and the Salvatore brothers either.

Damon and I technically never broke up, but me making out with his brother probably was enough for an implied break up. Also, what happened between Stefan and I wasn't official, but I felt like it was. I really need to talk to both of them, preferably Stefan first.

I happen to run across the younger Salvatore before my sister does. I sit down with him at the bar. He's drowning his sorrows or blood lust with whiskey, probably both.

"Hey," I say awkwardly. The last time we spoke alone was at the Boarding House when he tickled my feet and reassured me he'd be safe. He wasn't safe. Instead, he was captured and everything changed between him, Elena, and me.

Elena told me about how she saved him with her blood. They really bonded in those woods and, as far as she's concerned, they're back together.

"Whats going on with you and Elena?" I ask. I need to know where everyone stands now.

Stefan sighs and faces me. "Everything changed in the woods. I thought I was going to die and I wasn't even worried about that. I was worried about Elena; not being there to protect her. Then she gave me her blood. She was willing to risk her life to save me and I was wiling to die to save her. You have to understand that, Kaitlyn."

I nod and smile brightly. "I do. I understand that more than you realize. I've had that feeling with Damon countless times, but I've never had it with you," I say, the realization hitting me.

Stefan smiles back timidly. "I think we know now."

He then takes another swing of his drink. He's drunk. How could I not have noticed? Let's hope a drunk mouth does speak a sober mind's thoughts.

"You're drunk," I tell him.

"Yep, totally am."

"Should I be concerned?" I ask, leaning against the counter of the bar. I don't think I've ever seen Stefan drunk.