Chapter 15

Chapter 15

       For the past two weeks, Laughlin and I had been raising Elizabeth, a doll, as if ot was our own child. Being paired up with him was weird for sure, especially because of the feelings I had been having for him. I was constantly trying to push the feelings aside, but I couldn't. I was fallinng for Laughlin. Hard.

       Mary was still mad at me, but I was getting used to her not talking to me. She was overreacting, if anything.

       For the project, I slept over at Laughlin's house numerous of times as opposed to having just one of us taking care of Elizabeth. When Laughlim didn't have to take his brothers to school the following day, he slept over at my house where my dad was constantly joking about his 'granddaughter'.

       Honestly, I was relieved the project was over, but a bit sad as well. Elizabeth was an excuse for me to constantly be with Laughlin. Without her, both my dad and Mary would be suspicious as to why I was always with Laughlin. And I absolutely didn't want either of them to find out about my feeligs for Laughlin. Mary would hate my guts. Sure, she wasn't talking to me, but I still considered her my best friend.

       Laughlin had been cherishing every single moment he had with Elizabeh. He got a little bit too attached to Elizabeth.

       When health class was here, Laughlin suggested that we skip class and spend one more day with Elizabeth. I declined.

       "It's time, class," Mrs. Tyson said when class started. "The project is now officially over. You will no longer have to raise a baby doll." Most of the class cheered, looking extremely relieved.

       Mrs. Tyson started calling pairs up to hand in the doll. When she got to Laughlin and I, we got up and walked to the front desk. "Goodbye, Lizzie," Laughlin said. "Be good for daddy."

       "Laughlin, she's not actually your daughter," Mrs. Tysom reminded.

       "She will always be my daughter in my heart," Laughlin objected. I didn't know if he was joking or if he was actually serious. I think it was half and half considering how attached he grew of Elizabeth. Heck, I even grew fond of her. Just not as fond as Laughlin.

       Laughlin handed the doll to Mrs. Tyson before we sat down. "I can't believe she's gone," Laughlin said as the next pair went up. "Honey, I told you we shouldn't have put her up for adoption."

       I rolled my eyes at him. During the two weeks, he acted like we were a married couple most of the time and that Elizabeth was real. One time, he was telling Elizabeth about our supposed wedding.

       I patted Laughlin's shoulder. "It was the right thing, honey."

       Mrs. Tyson finished collecting the dolls, so she stood at the front of the class. "I have to admit, I'm not that impressed on the marks that was given. There was only two A's, one of which was one-hundred percent." My eyebrows shot up at the news. One-hudred percent? That pair must have been excellent parents. "Then, there were three B's. Believe it or not, the average percent of the class was fifty-two.

       Jerry raised his hand. "Who got the full mark?" he asked with a smile. Surely, he thought it was him. I, honestly, doubted it because Laughlin and I saw him at the gym a couple of times with Mary and without the baby. They probably left the other member to do all the work.

       "If you must know," Mrs. Tyson said, "the highest mark, the one-hundred percent, belongs to Elliot and Laughlin."

       "Us?" Laughlin and I said in unison. We got the highest mark?