Chapter 4: A Howler

Hello lovely readers! Thank you for being so patient with me. I have decided I will try to update this story once a week, although it may sometimes take a bit longer as I'm also working on another story. 

I don't own any of the Weasley children or this incredible world, they all belong to JKR!

***

Scrambling to finish before time ran out, Al dropped the last porcupine quill into his cauldron and waved his wand.

"Excellent job, Mr. Potter!" Professor Stocks's deep voice boomed. "I daresay your cure for boils is one of the best I've ever seen!"

Al beamed, and his Harvey loyally thumped him on the back. Al shot a glance at Harvey's potion, which had turned a putrid green instead of the intended deep blue.

Professor Stocks rattled off the homework and the class field out of the dungeons.

"Best he's ever seen?"

Al spun around and came face to face with the last person he wanted to see.

"Please." Derek sneered. "He just wants to get on your father's good side, doesn't he."

"Oh lay off him for one second, would you?" Rose complained, "I'd like to see you come close to brewing a potion half as good as Al's!"

Al smiled gratefully at his cousin. The Derek situation hadn't gotten any better. Just yesterday, Derek had requested that the house elves build a barrier separating his side of the dorm room from the others', and the result had been a curtain of old sheets. Felix had tried to peek through the sheets, but had jumped back when a large rat leaped out at him. "I swear, the thing's got teeth the size of my fingers," he had exclaimed, wide-eyed. Harvey, Al, and Chris had rolled on the floor laughing, and quickly sobered up when Derek returned from the bathroom.

"What do you even have against him?" Lydia said boldly, "it's not his fault your fathers didn't get along! Besides, Al said his dad saved yours, so if you're still being taught to hate the entire Potter family, then there's something wrong with your father."

All of a sudden, Lydia was on the ground and Derek was hitting her.

"Don't you ever insult my father again," he growled, each word punctuated with a punch. Lydia flailed her arms at him, yelling at him to get off, but he had her pinned down.

"Protego!"

Derek was thrust back from Lydia, and she slowly sat up, coughing. Professor McGonagall helped her up.

"Mr. Goyle, Miss Harris, what on earth is going on?"

Wiping blood from her mouth, Lydia stood up defiantly. "He just started beating me up, Ma'am."

"Whatever for?"

Neither Lydia nor Derek spoke.

"Very well then. Mr. Goyle, I shall see you in my office immediately. Miss Harris, I suggest you visit Madam Pomfrey in the hospital wing."

McGonagall led Derek away, and the rest of the class began to disperse. Al, Harvey, and Rose walked Lydia to the hospital wing.

"What was that all about?" Rose inquired.

"I dunno, guess he's just a bit touchy about his father," Al said.

"That's an understatement," Harvey agreed.

Rose frowned. "Do you think I should write my dad about-"

"No!" The others chorused.

"What do you suppose you'll write?" Al said, "Dear Dad, I was just wondering how things are going in the Goyle family. No reason! I'm just curious. Knowing Uncle Ron, he'll send a whole team of aurors over to investigate!"