Chapter 6: Bludgers

Harry Potter was missing, but he might as well have been dead for the panic that was spreading throughout the wizarding world.

Harry Potter: The Boy Who Disappeared, headlines read, followed by an article explaining everything people knew about the disappearance. Which wasn't much. Mrs. Ginny Potter awoke Tuesday morning to discover her husband was nowhere to be found. After owling all of Mr. Potter's close friends and relatives, and trying in many ways to contact him, she waited for him. When hours had passed, it became clear that Mr. Potter was not merely out shopping. It was then that Mrs. Potter came to the conclusion that her husband was missing. The most experienced and talented group of aurors is currently working hard on the case, but their efforts have yet to uncover a single clue. Harry Potter seems to have vanished off the face of the earth.

Other headlines boldly stated that Voldemort was back, and what precautions to take in order to prevent a third wizarding war. Several students had already been sent home, their parents claiming that they would be safer there.

Al's mum had tried to do the same right then and there, as she broke down in the middle of the hallway. But Al could tell her heart wasn't into it- she knew that Al and James would be safer at Hogwarts than anywhere else.

Rose, Al could tell, was trying her best not to show how upset she was. She wasn't saying anything, but he knew what she was thinking: she didn't deserve cry. Harry was just her uncle, he was Al's father. The rest of his cousins were acting the same way, although Al thought that this was ridiculous. He would be terrified if Uncle Ron went missing.

Similarly, James tried to keep a smile on his face. He was quick to assure anyone that asked that he was 100 percent fine, and shrugged off any sympathy. You would have to know him very well to tell that something was wrong, and Al did. His brother hadn't pulled a prank since they received the news.

As for Al, he was angry. And scared, and sad, and miserable.

Awe-struck stares turned into sympathetic ones. Students who he had barely met asked him if he was okay, professors made sure not to give him too much work. It was nice, Al knew it, but he hated it. Every time somebody came up to him and told him they were sorry, gave him a card or a chocolate frog, it only reminded him why they were being so kind.

He was fine.

Every day, Al told himself that his dad was invincible, that he couldn't be dead. There was no way.

"Albus Severus Potter."

"I'm fine," Al responded crabbily, not even looking up from his parchment when he recognized his brother's voice. It was nearly midnight, and he was the last one in the common room, still trying to write his essay for history of magic.

"I have known you your whole life, Al. I know which girl you had a crush on in primary school and which magazines you like to read while you're on the toilet. And I know that you, my friend, are not fine."

"Yes I am," Al growled, crossing a T so viciously he ripped his parchment in two. Cursing, he crumpled up the paper and threw it into the fire.

James nodded smugly. "Yep, you look just fine to me. So anyway, I figured you needed some cheering up. Did you hear that Liam and Jeffrey Murray's mum made them go home?"

Al rolled his eyes. "And this cheers me up how?"

"Liam and Jeff were our beaters, idiot! Which means we need new beaters! Kristy says trials are Saturday, you have to try."

Al turned around in his chair. "James," he said softly, "it just doesn't seem right. You know, with Dad gone, it doesn't seem like I should..."

"Should what, be happy?" Said James, "Look, Dad always says there were two things he loved in the world, and those were his family and quidditch. Wherever he is, I am positive he wants you to try. Come on, you're a bloody fantastic beater, and that's saying a lot coming from me."