Chapter 22

It had been nearly a moon since Tigerstripe had set off with Krait, and still they had found no signs of either Snakepelt or Jetfur. Tigerstripe had begun to get more and more frantic, and while Krait's jovial personality often calmed in, he couldn't help but feel anxious most of the time.

Krait often assured him that they'd have to run into something eventually, but Tigerstripe felt himself growing farther and farther away from their trail. He wished Blackpelt had been able to give him more information about Jetfur's whereabouts.

Often times, his mind drifted to Rain too, and he wondered if she was still alive. He never knew if the hunters had gotten her or not, and even if she had escaped, he wondered if she'd be okay on her own.

Of course she would, he told himself. She's a fox. She doesn't need me. 

Tigerstripe still wouldn't mind seeing his fox friend now and again, just to make sure she was safe and healthy. He never mentioned her near Krait, thinking she wouldn't understand the odd relationship they'd formed.

Tigerstripe awoke one morning to find Krait pushing against him with her paws. He slowly opened his eyes, finding the she-cat leaning over him.

"Finally!" she exclaimed as Tigerstripe slowly sat up.

"What?" he asked.

"I've been trying to wake you up for days!" Krait exaggerated. "You are quite a heavy sleeper. I thought clan cats could wake in a pinch."

"Well, I'm not technically a clan cat anymore," Tigerstripe responded, rising to his feet now. He stretched his sore muscles and let out a large morning yawn.

"In addition, we've been walking all day for several days. I really value my time asleep," he continued.

Krait rolled her eyes. "Yeah, you're not a clan cat, you say. I'm not so sure this rogue life is for you. A rogue walks all day for all of his or her life. You don't see me sleeping all day," Krait argued.

Tigerstripe chuckled slightly. "Well, I'll try to work on that."

"Good luck," Krait mumbled.

"Any news?" he asked.

"Nothing here," Krait reported. "I went and looked around a little, but all I could find was a measly mouse. There weren't any new scents or anything. No one has been in this part of the forest for moons."

Tigerstripe felt his heart sink slowly, but it was quickly replaced by growing hunger.

"You caught a mouse, you say?"

"Yup. Ate it too."

"You didn't save any for me?!" Tigerstripe exclaimed.

"Hey, if you're going to laze around all day, then don't expect me to catch your breakfast. There should be plenty of prey around here. Come on," she called, leading him away from their previous night's shelter.

Tigerstripe followed Krait deeper into the forest, his eyes and nose on the lookout for any sign of prey. Suddenly, he heard a rustling from the nearby bushes and crept down, watching as a small robin hopped out and pecked at the ground, oblivious to the fact that Tigerstripe and Krait were nearby.

Licking his lips, Tigerstripe leapt at the bird and caught it mid-air as it attempted to fly away. He killed it in a heartbeat and was left with a delicious breakfast.