Chapter 42

Tigerstripe awoke to find Jetfur gently licking his cheek. He opened his eyes and watched her gazing over him.

"Morning," he muttered lazily.

She laughed. "Morning."

Tigerstripe lazily rose to his feet, letting out a groan. "Ugh, why'd you have to wake me so early?"

"We've got places to be," Jetfur explained. "I really want to see your birthplace."

"You seem more excited than me," Tigerstripe noticed.

"I think I'm tired of walking everywhere too. Being a rogue isn't the best thing ever," she admitted.

Tigerstripe smiled and nodded. His stomach let out a rumble, interrupting their conversation.

"How about we get some breakfast first though?" he suggested.

Jetfur nodded, and they set off through the woods, looking for whatever piece of prey wandered their way. Already it was beginning to get hot, and Tigerstripe hoped there would be enough shade on the journey to keep them from stopping often to rest.

As they walked, a rabbit suddenly leapt by. Before Tigerstripe could react, Jetfur leapt after it, and after some rustling in the bushes, she stood up with the dead rabbit in her jaws. 

"Nice job," Tigerstripe told her, surprised. He had never known Jetfur to be the best hunter or fighter ever.

"I had to learn a few things on my own," Jetfur explained, dropping the rabbit at his feet. "Let's eat."

Together, the two sat and shared their squirrel, sharing some more stories from their journey while also expressing their excitement to settle down for once.

"Did you ever hear anything else about the other MoonClan members?" Jetfur asked.

Tigerstripe shook his head. "I haven't seen a single MoonClan cat since I left. Have you?"

Jetfur shook her head. "I don't mind not seeing them. They weren't the kindest."

Tigerstripe nodded. "Agreed."

"It would've been nice to see my sister though," Jetfur sighed.

"She seemed nice," Tigerstripe told her. "At least you know she's still alive, despite what Swampstar told you."

Jetfur nodded. There was a pause, and she picked some more at her rabbit. "What about your family? Do you ever think of them?"

Tigerstripe shrugged. "I mean, most of them are dead and probably running about in the Dark Forest."

"But your siblings," Jetfur suggested. "I mean, at least you got to grow up with them."

Again, Tigerstripe shrugged. "Hazelnose and Chesnuttail ran off when we were kits. And Leopardtail died in the battle. I mean, Chesnuttail died in battle too, and I haven't seen Hazelnose since. We weren't the best functioning family ever. I much prefer to hang out with you. To be honest, some of the cats and animals I traveled with I regard more as family than my own kin."

Jetfur nodded. "I see what you mean. But we're together now. That's what matters."

Tigerstripe nodded.

After breakfast, they continued on their way again. Tigerstripe was beginning to recognize the forest and seemed to have a better idea of where they were going. He didn't want to admit it, but when he and Jetfur had first set off, he hadn't had the slightest clue in which direction his birthplace was.

"It's this way," Tigerstripe said, leading Jetfur to the right and into thicker bundles of trees.

"I'm surprised you remember it," Jetfur said. "Weren't you just a kit when you left?"

Tigerstripe nodded. "I'm surprised I remember, too. But the scent is familiar, and the surroundings are too."

"How far do you think we are?" Jetfur asked.

They'd been traveling half a moon so far (it had taken Tigerstripe a little bit to get on track). He suspected they were a quarter to a half of a moon to where he had been born, though he wished it come sooner.

He hoped also the old dens were still intact. His mother and father had formed a small camp when Moonstar had first begun MoonClan though he was unsure the camp still survived.

If not, he and Jetfur could always rebuild. It wasn't like they needed to create a whole camp. Just a den or two.

"We'll be there soon," Tigerstripe told Jetfur.

Jetfur smiled. "I can't wait!"

"We can relax all day," Tigerstripe fantasized. "No mean cats will tell us what to do. There'll be no battle training or skimpy meals. It'll be so nice."

Jetfur nodded. "It'll be nice to finally have a home for once."

Tigerstripe smiled, glad to be back with Jetfur again. After such a long journey, he couldn't wait to relax. He wouldn't be surprised if he slept an entire moon upon their arrival to the spot.

The day carried on. The sun got hotter though the trees seemed to provide enough shade. Still, he and Jetfur had to stop a few times to get a drink of water. His thick-furred coat and Jetfur's sleek black pelt couldn't take all the heat.

They made great distance over the course of the day, so much so that Tigerstripe suspected his legs would ache the next day. Finally, the sun appeared to be going down.

"How about we find something to eat and then look for a place to rest?" Tigerstripe suggested.

Jetfur nodded. She, too, appeared exhausted.

They managed to catch two mice and ate them laying out on the forest floor. In the distance, Tigerstripe noticed a small cave, and he led Jetfur to it, hoping to spend the night there.

They crept inside and sniffed around, though it appeared to be empty. Tigerstripe and Jetfur could detect no scent, and no movement echoed from inside. Still, they kept near to the mouth of the cave in case anything did decide to come crawling out.

As the orange sky was replaced by a dark one with shining stars, Tigerstripe curled up and smiled warmly as Jetfur laid beside him. She rested her head against his pelt and let out a relaxing breath. Tigerstripe smiled and gently licked the top of her head. Then, he rested his head down on his paws.

"I love you," he breathed.

He turned, but it appeared Jetfur had already fallen asleep. Grinning, he placed his head down once more and shut his eyes, hoping that the journey would reach its end sometime soon.