Chapter 44

For several days Tigerstripe and Jetfur were forced at their own will to march with the MoonClan cats toward MoonClan's new camp. Tigerstripe had fought slightly at first, but the strong cats were too much for him, and he knew it was no use.

Jetfur had been very compliant with the cats despite Tigerstripe's wishes. He knew it wasn't her fault. She had been in situations before, and apparently following instructions seemed to work best, but this was the first time Tigerstripe had encountered a situation like this. He didn't want to comply. He wanted freedom.

By the ninth or tenth sunrise, Tigerstripe's feet hurt from all the walking. Bruises and healing scratches covered his pelt. Jetfur had fewer bruises and scratches, but Tigerstripe could tell she was in pain with each passing step.

As the sun began to sink below the hills, one of the cats leading the others stopped at a hillside, glancing down at the horizon below.

"Stop," he ordered the cats.

Tigerstripe sighed in relief, glad his legs could have a rest.

"We'll camp here for the night," the ginger tom leading the cats explained. "Tomorrow, we should reach MoonClan."

Tigerstripe let out a sigh of relief. Never was he so glad to actually reach MoonClan. His feet hurt, and he longed for an actual den and nest. He wasn't sure he'd be treated like royalty upon his return though judging on how he had been treated by these cats.

Several cats sat up to stand guard while others began finding spots to sleep. Tigerstripe began to pad over to Jetfur when a gray she-cat stopped him.

"Not so fast. You'll sleep over there," she hissed, pointing to a nearby rock.

Tigerstripe unsheathed his claws in anger. "You've taken me hostage and driven me toward exhaustion. The least you can do is let me sleep by my mate!"

The she-cat bared her teeth and unsheathed her claws in response. "Is that a challenge?"

Tigerstripe let out a growl.

"Enough!" the ginger tom shouted. "Let him sleep next to the she-cat if he wants. We have plenty of cats on guard."

"But--" the she-cat began to argue.

"Go," he said.

The she-cat padded away, and Tigerstripe, thrilled with himself, padded over to where Jetfur was beginning to lay down. He curled up beside her and sat in silence for a few moments, watching the sun sink behind the hills.

Cats began to quiet down, and soon, many were asleep.

Tigerstripe could feel Jetfur's rapid breaths next to him, and he placed his tail on her to calm her.

"Are you okay?" he whispered, knowing the other cats were watching them intensely.

"I'm scared," she replied.

"Why don't you fight?" he asked quietly.

"It won't work. You know it won't."

"But you haven't tried," he argued.

"Tigerstripe, fighting doesn't always--"

"Hey, go to sleep over there!" a black tom hissed. "How do we know you aren't planning to escape?"

Tigerstripe rolled his eyes and turned back to Jetfur, but her head was already resting on her paws, and her eyes were shut. He let out a sigh and rested his head down beside hers, letting out a deep sigh. He could only hope Jetfur would build up courage later on.

"UP!" came a loud shout from beside Tigerstripe. He glanced up, noticing the ginger tom was waking all the cats. He turned and watched Jetfur stir beside him. He helped her up to her feet until he was immediately pulled away  by some cats and isolated from her again.