Chapter 1: The First Day

This is my first book, please do not leave any negative comments, unless they are constructive criticism. The characters thoughts are italicized, unless it is like a letter, text, or anything else. You will be able to tell if it is something besides the character's thoughts. I hope you enjoy! I usually do not write books, because I prefer to read them, but I do not like endings, so that means that I can continue my book as long as I want, because I am the author. If I do not update often, I am sorry. I am starting ninth grade on the 17th of August, so I might be busy, or just have writer's block. I made up the home town of the character, but there might really be a place with the same name though.

                I am Astrid Carter, and this is my story. I live in a small town in Arkansas called Lennington. It is named after its founder, Arthur Lennington. My parents are George and Allison Carter, and I have a younger brother named Toby. I am 14, and Toby is 2. I have one really close friend named Scarlett O'Riley, and she is my age. We have known each other since we were born, and Scarlett lives with me and my family, because her parents just up and disappeared one day when we were 6. She has been living with us ever since. She has and older brother named Alex, who is 16 and also lives with us. Now that you know a little about me and my family, I can get on with my story. It begins with today, because I will be writing it as everything in my life happens.

"Good morning, Toby," I say as I walk into Toby's room to get him dressed for the day. "Do you remember where we are going today? We are going to the Zoo," he smiles and says, "Zoo! Zoo!" I pick him up and begin to get him dressed. I am wearing a loose t-shirt, regular jeans, and sneakers. As I start to take Toby's shirt out of the closet, I hear him say, "Monkey! Monkey! Ooh ooh, aah aah!" "Do you want a banana, little monkey?" He nods his head and we laugh.

I walk into the kitchen with Toby in my arms and he continues making monkey noises. "Good morning, little monkey!" Scarlett says, handing him a banana and taking him from me. She loves Toby like he is her own brother, and I find it cute. Toby loves her attention, and is almost always with her. I walk into the kitchen and find Alex making pancakes. He is waiting for the skillet to heat up, and is standing at the bar reading a book. I walk up behind him and give him a hug. He jumps a little, startled and turns around to see me. "You startled me, Astrid," he says, blushing a little and hugs me back. "Hehe, sorry," I smile a bit and look at him. "It's cool, and good morning," he says as he begins cooking the pancakes. "Good morning, Alex," I clear off the table and load the dishwasher.

When the pancakes are ready, we all sit down and begin eating. "I found a note from mom and dad on the table this morning." I take another bite of pancake and read the note out loud.

"Dear children,

We are going on a date and will be back either late tonight, or tomorrow around 10 o'clock (most likely the second one). You better behave, and no fooling around (We are talking to you two, Astrid and Alex {I don't read the part in parenthesis out loud}) . We hope that you will all have a wonderful time at the Zoo today, and please don't get in trouble or killed or anything bad like that. We love you all!! <3

Love,

Allison and George

A.K.A. Mom and Dad <3"

Alex catches me blushing when I pause after I read the "no fooling around" part, and takes the note from me after we all finish eating and Scarlett takes Toby to go wash is face and hands, and brush their teeth. He reads it then blushes and glances at me and quickly looks away, folding the note and placing it on the counter. We wash the dishes in silence and Scarlett walks in. "Toby is watching cartoons and..." She stops talking and looks at us questioningly, feeling the tension in the air. Our eyes (Alex's and mine) quickly dart to the note on the table and back to her. Crap. I didn't mean to do that! Now she will know what my mom and dad said! Scarlett and I both race to get to the note, but she gets there first, and reads it. "I knew it!" Alex and I look at each other confused. "I knew you two liked each other, and they do too!"

After a while, we go to the Zoo. We wonder around looking at all the animals, then finally find the monkeys. It turns out, the person that runs the Zoo knew Mr. and Mrs. O'Riley, and let us in with the monkeys! Toby had so much fun, and him and Scarlett fell asleep on the ride home. Alex was driving and I was riding shotgun. "They're asleep," I say to Alex and he smiles. "Astrid, will you be my girlfriend?" My eyes widen for a second and I answer, "I would love to, Alex!" I smile at him and we talk about random things until we get home.

When we get there, we wake up Toby and Scarlett, then go cook some frozen pizzas. After dinner, we make a pillow fort and turn on the T.V. Toby soon falls asleep, so Scarlett carries him to his room. When she comes back, we all lay down in the fort and decide on a movie to watch. After looking at all the movies, we decide on "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and turn off the lights.

Scarlett's Viewpoint

About halfway through the movie, I turn to say something to Astrid, and see that her and Alex are asleep. They are holding hands, and with his other arm, Alex is holding Astrid close to him, but not too close, and they are both smiling. I take a quick picture, send it to Allison, cover them up, turn off the T.V., and go to sleep on the other side of Astrid.

Astrid's Viewpoint

The last thing I remember is Alex and I saying I love you, then him pulling me close and us falling asleep. I think Scarlett might have said something to me, but I am not very sure. Oh, well. My last thought before falling completely asleep was, He is so warm.

Well, I hope that you enjoyed the first chapter! See you later, readers.

P.S. What should I call you guys, or do you want me to keep calling you guys readers? I also want to change my username, what should I change it to?