Chapter 4: School and Bad Dreams

Astrid's Viewpoint

Tomorrow is the last day of school. Alex and I just got out of the car and are walking to the Band Hall to put up our instruments. Scarlett isn't in band, but she is a cheerleader. She helps decide the uniforms, so they always end up with appropriate outfits. We hold hands as we walk into the Band Hall, and the other members swarm around us asking questions. The oboe player, Melisa, who also goes by Lisa (The I doesn't say its name, it makes the same sound it does in fish, ink, and optimist.) stands in between us and the crowd of people. "Hey, give them some space! If you have a question stand in a line over here, and if you have a comment, stand over here." The people with questions had pretty much the same questions, so that line was gone very quickly, and the same was with the comment line.

After that, we went to the library to turn in our books, because they were all due today, and went outside to meet up with Scarlett, Melissa, and Simon. Melissa is the same age as Scarlett and I, and was in a relationship with Simon, who was Alex's age. Simon was a football player, and was on the A team. He and Melissa have been together for about six months, and the most they have done is hold hands and hug. I deeply respect them for that, and they know it too. [Yes, I do mean he, not him. It is correct grammar to use the pronoun he instead of him in this case.] The bell rings and Alex and Simon walk us girls to class. When we get to our math class, Alex gives me a hug and smiles at me. "I love you, Astrid." "I love you too, Alex," I reply. "Aww, how sweet!" Melissa says. "My little Alex is all grown up!" Simon says as he wipes away a fake tear. Simon gives Melissa a quick hug then leaves with Alex to go to class.

Fourth period comes and we (Scarlett, Melissa, and I) go to P.E. We sit our backpacks down and stand talking to each other. A kid walks up to me and asks me why I never wear shorts, even to P.E. or when it is hot outside. I reply with, "I don't like wearing shorts, because then you can see my legs and I run into things so they are usually red or there is a bruise or scratch. That and I don't shave my legs." He looks at me for a second then walks off. A few minutes later I feel an arm walk around me a hand cover my mouth. Instinctively, I bite the hand and it lets go. I turn around to find Alex, asking me why hit bit me. "You covered my mouth and my instincts kicked in causing me to bite you." I kiss the bite mark on his hand. "There, all better." The teacher walks in and we sit down. We end up playing dodge ball, and I end up getting lots of people out. [My tip is to throw the ball at the feet of the tall people because they have to lean down further to catch the ball, and it usually catches them off guard.] I never get out, and my team, which all my friends happen to be on, wins!! When class is over, we head to lunch. We all sit down with our food, then hold hands and pray. I put in one of my earbuds and listen to Minecraft Parodies of songs using iHeartRadio and mouth the words to the song in between bites of pizza. Lunch ends and the boys walk us to our classes. The last three classes of the day pass, and we go to high school and wait outside the class the boys are in. They walk out and we all walk to parking lot in front of the Band Hall and wait for our rides. "So Astrid, what are you going to do today?" Simon asks me. "What I always do after homework," I reply. "Oh, so staring at Alex?" Scarlett says. Melissa snickers and chimes in with, "Alex probably stares at her too!" "I do not!!" Alex and I say at the same time, blushing. "Whatever!" the others say.

My mom and Toby get here and Scarlett, Alex, and I get in the car, Alex and I still blushing a little bit. We stop at Sonic and get blasts. I get M&M's, Scarlett gets Oreos, and Alex gets cookie dough. We go home, do our homework, and watch Doctor Who. That night, I wake up after having a bad dream. I try texting Scarlett and she doesn't answer so I try Alex.

Me: Alex, are you awake? I had a bad dream and am scared. Scarlett wouldn't answer. I am so sorry if I wake you.

Alex: I'm on my way.

10 seconds later, my door opens and arms lift me off my bed. They quietly carry me bridal style down the hall to another room. The owner of the arms, who is obviously Alex, (I know it is him because he said he was coming, and the person smelled like him) walked into a room and closed the door. He sat me down on the middle of his bed and grabbed something. I heard a cracking noise and saw that he was "breaking", or whatever you call it, a glow stick. He shook it then put it in a bottle of water, shining the light in a larger range, and did the same to a few more. He then proceeded to sit down next to me and pick me up, holding me. [Not in a weird way] "You are safe. Tell me about your dream." I spent the next 10 minutes telling him about it, trying not to cry. "Wow." "Wait, there's more. I'm not done yet." I finished telling him about my dream a few minutes later. "... and I woke up right before I was killed. Now I am afraid to go back to sleep in case the dream continues." He comforts me then lays down, still holding me, and pulls the blanket over us. "I have my alarm set 5 minutes before mom and dad's, that way you have time to go back to your room before they get up," he tells me. "Thank you, Alex. I love you, Tree." "Anytime, and I love you too, Shorty. Do you know what's so great about me being taller than you?" "What?" "Every time we hug, you can hear my heart, which beats only for you." "You have a wonderful point, Tree!" "I know. Now go to sleep, Shorty." With that, I fall asleep and dream of Alex.

Goodnight, my dear readers. Sweet dreams!