Chapter Three - Heart of the Enemy

Chapter Three
Heart of the Enemy

Flowerkit turned.

A huge russet t looming over him, lip curled in a threatening snarl. The tom had a white tipped tail and distinct white markings around his eyes and muzzle. The warrior's muscles were tensed and his claws were extended. Another cat was slinking towards them, a dark gray tabby with hostile green eyes. Flowerkit quivered.

"What are you doing here, ThunderClan?" the russet tom repeated with a snarl. "You're a little far from home." He growled threateningly.

Flowerkit crouched down and flattened his ears under the ShadowClan warrior's fury. He didn't dare reply - and he didn't think he could speak even if he wanted to.

"Come to steal prey, it looks like," the tabby she-cat growled. Her malignant green gaze was locked on Flowerkit, who was reminded strongly of Mosskit. Except that this cat could actually hurt him.

"We don't take kindly to prey-stealers here, ThunderClan," the tom spat. "Even kit ones."

By this time other ShadowClan cats were stirring. Some had emerged from their dens to watch the commotion with glittering eyes. Most of the cats looked angry. Flowerkit shrank back.

"What's wrong, kitten? Cat got your tongue?" the tabby jeered.

"Oh, lay off!" an unknown voice spat. "Can't you see that he's scared out of his wits?" Flowerkit didn't dare take his eyes off the two cats facing him to see who had spoken.

"So he should be!" the gray tabby snarled back, looking at whoever had spoken. She returned her glare to Flowerkit. "You thought you could just stroll into our camp and take our prey, did you?" She laughed, but there was no humour in her voice. "I always knew ThunderClan cats were frog-brained, but I didn't think they were this stupid."

"I am not stupid!" Flowerkit hissed back before he could stop himself. The familiar feeling of anger had returned. "I found my way here, didn't I?"

"That just proves my point," the ShadowClan warrior growled. "What in the name of StarClan possessed you to come here in the dead of night?"

Flowerkit lowered his head and scuffed his paw against the ground. "I did it on a dare."

"A dare?" The tabby she-cat wasn't the only one to speak this time. Multiple voices echoed the words from around the camp. The gray tabby's eyes flashed with outrage. "You came to raid our camp in the dead of night on a dare?"

"Be at ease, Willowfang. I will deal with this," a new voice spoke from behind him.

Flowerkit whirled to see who the new rumbling voice belonged to. He found himself staring into narrowed amber eyes.

"Of course, Thicketstar," the tabby, Willowfang, replied in a suddenly subdued voice. Flowerkit bristled. Thicketstar? The cat in front of him was ShadowClan's leader?

The tom was white, with pale brown markings that gave his fur a dirty appearance. His amber eyes were dark and brooding, and his voice was low as he spoke. "Foxmask. Take a patrol to survey the area. Make sure this isn't a trap."

"Yes, Thicketstar," the russet tom who had first confronted Flowerkit responded. He turned away, calling out a few names. "Rosefur, Sparrowcry, Thornscar! Let's go."

The ShadowClan leader returned his glare to Flowerkit. "You made a grave mistake in coming here, kit," he rumbled. "Your quest was hopeless. Tell me, what brought this on?"

Flowerkit met Thicketstar's gaze evenly. He forced his fur to lay flat, willing it not to show his fear. "I thought if I could steal some of your prey, the other kits would respect me," he mewed loudly. "And I almost did it, too!"