Guilded - Chapter 4

Training went like usual until games came around. Instead of deciding on Capture the Flag or Hide and Seek, two men came in to have a practice raid. At first they looked weak, there were two of them and many of us, but we underestimated them and lost, mostly because some soldiers began trading places with other soldiers. We were told that our punishment would come at tonight's training so everyone left and I found myself alone with Ania by two o'clock. With nothing to do, we decide to go shopping.

The nearest mall is an open air mall called City Creek Center that sits across the street from the temple owned by the Latter-Day Saints or Mormons.

"Do we really have to go through a bunch of clothes? I'd rather go to the Gateway and look at food," Ania complains. The Gateway is a mall that's also within walking distance but farther.

"We can do anything you want after I find a better outfit than this pastel mess I wear," I tell her.

"Fine, but you better promise!" She replies as we walk past an unshaven hobo with crooked teeth.

He holds a sign that says "Wife & 2 kids lost job". I try to avoid him but he grabs my arm tightly. It scares me and I almost punch him in the face.

"Hey, darlin' girl. Do ya have anythin' to spare?" He asks me.

I can feel my legs start to freeze on me and I shake my head. "N-no! Sorry!" I tell him, too scared to do anything.

He releases me and takes a dollar that Ania holds out to him.

"Thank you, girl," he says to her as he pockets the cash and we walk away.

"That was scary!" I whine.

"They're not that bad. It's the fake ones you have to watch out for," Ania tells me.

We reach City Creek Center and look at a map of the stores.

"I want to go to Teavana after we go clothes shopping!" I exclaim.

"Alright. What shop first, then?" she asks me and I spot Nordstrom.

"Nordstrom!" I say.

On our way there we talk a little about the boys in the group, picking of the cute ones from the rest and giving them nicknames, things normal girls would do.

"Ava, who do you think is the most handsome guy in Ardor?" she asks me.

I blush, not expecting this. "Well Tony seems kinda nice... But so do Saheim and Carson," I reply.

"Not in personality, I'm talking about faces!"

"What?! I can't just choose by their face! I have to know them before I choose them," I reply.

"Come on, Ava! Just tell me who's the cutest!" She urges.

"Uh... Tony seems fancy," I reply.

"Ooh, a classy girl huh?" she taunts. "I think Lev looks handsome. His eyes almost sparkle!" She says.

"Somehow I knew you'd mention Lev," I sigh as we walk into Nordstrom. I find the casual dresses and start browsing.

"Okay, now personalities. Which personality do you think is best?" Ania asks as she sorts through a rack with hats.

"Hm... probably Carson," I reply.

"But he has blue hair!" She exclaims.

"So what?"

"So it's hard to look at," she whispers. "What do you think of this one?"

I look at what she's holding. It's a white beach hat with a red ribbon. She puts it on but her messy hair doesn't suit it. I look at the other hats and point out a straw cowgirl hat.