Ardor - Chapter 6

When I wake up, I see Noel sitting beside me. I sit up quickly but she pushes me back down.

"Where am I?" I ask.

"Can't you recognize your own bedroom? You're lucky they actually released you from the hospital, even with you still unconscious." She replies.

My head hurts. "How long was I out?" I ask.

"About two days. It's Sunday, September 6th. You were in the ICU for a whole day. We might become homeless with the hospital bills."

"What happened while I was out?" I ask.

She stands up. "I wouldn't know. I'm not involved in your groups. Look, you need to stay in bed."

That's when I realize that today is Michael's funeral. "Please?"

"The hospital said you needed to rest, but I have work." She says with a wink, implying there won't be anyone to keep me in bed.

"Have fun, I guess." I tell her as she leaves.

I roll over and pick my phone up off the table, checking my notifications. I have 12 new messages from Lev and Samael. I read over them.

Lev Makari

Hey, you okay?

I just came by but you sister wouldn't let me in. Everyone's really worried.

Saheim just announced that Paul left. He admitted his crime to the officers and he's now in jail.

I came by again today. Noel told me you're still out cold.

When you wake up, come down to the cemetery at 11:00 for the funeral.

I check my clock. The bright red light blinks the numbers 9:04 at me and I jump up quickly to get dressed before reading Samael's texts. I put on my black dress, the one I wore to my dad's funeral, and the same black heels I wore that day as well. The long sleeves are heavy with the layers of lace.

I check my hair in the bathroom and comb it out with my fingers. I notice more scars on my face than before, my lip is cut. My eye is black. I cover it up with some concealer, using it everywhere I found a blemish. Mascara, a nude eyeshadow, and some contouring folllow. Then I put on a red lipstick and head out, searching up the cemetery on Google Maps.

On my way, I check the messages from Samael.

The Lucifer

Ava, I heard what happened. I'm sorry, I didn't think people would care so much.

Are you there?

Lev tells me you're not conscious... I'm so sorry. I suppose you'll read this when you wake up.

I'm sorry I got upset while the media was around. I'm only angry at the beginning, you know.

Paul's in the Police Department right now. I got a call from one of my members and arrived soon after you got knocked out. He kept punching you, I had to pull him off you.

Good morning, are you awake yet?

I guess not. If you wake up before the funeral, contact me.

I call him and listen to the ringer buzz for a few minutes. It goes to voice mail and I end the call without leaving a message. I'm startled by a honk and turn to see a red Nissan pull over with Samael in the driver seat. He rolls down his window and I see Lev and Ania in the back.

"Need a ride?" He asks me.

We arrive at exactly 11:00 and I'm surprised to see so many people. Most of the people I see are probably only here because they read the Weekly Clan. I walk up to the hole in the ground, the coffin already placed ontop of the bars that will lower it to the ground.