Guilded - Chapter 5

For a second, I don't believe him. I don't want to believe him. So I don't.

"Real funny, Lev," I say. "You almost got me."

"No, Ava, I'm serious," he says and he grabs my shoulders. "If you don't believe me, get dressed and go there yourself. Saheim called everyone he had contact details for, there's no training today."

He lets me go and I stand there for a minute before I run to my room, leaving the door wide open. I put on the first thing I can find which is my black dress. I put the leggings on underneath but I leave the jacket, knowing it wont be any good.

When I come back out, Lev is on the couch, waiting with large eyes for an order of some sort.

"Don't just sit here, go get dressed!" I urge him and he gets up and runs down the block to his house.

I snatch my cell phone off the charger and attempt to put it in a pocket that doesn't exist before realizing I'm in a dress--I don't have pockets. I don't want to change so I put it in my bra rather reluctantly. It feels disgusting to hold objects there, but I don't have a choice.

I grab the keys to the house, step outside, lock the door and run down the street towards Gilgal. I take the shortcut, over fences and through backyards, remembering that there's a dog in one of them. I'm not even two thirds of my way there before I can already hear sirens. They make me realize the reality of the situation and I slow down and find a side walk.

I spot the first car, a green truck, Saheim's truck. Then I spot police cars, ambulences, more cars, all lined up at the curb. I even spot a KSL News truck.

I get closer to the entrance and don't find a sign that says don't enter. There doesn't seem to be anyone around to stop me, so I go in. At first everything's the same, but then I get to the clearing and find emergency personnel everywhere, the weeping willow is blocked off with yellow tape. I head to the pavilion.

Most of the soldiers are gathered here. All of the high ranks and officers are here and they all are wearing everything from boxer shorts and no shirt to... Tony's suit. They look drugged without their morning coffee. I walk up to them.

"Guys..." I start but don't know how to continue.

"What... Why... The vassalage couldn't have meant that much could it?" I ask.

"Apparently it did," says Dante.

"He was having trouble in his family too; his parents divorced two days ago, that's why we didn't see him at training," Frank explains.

"Ava, if you have anything to say, say it now," Saheim says.

"I uh... oh, gosh... how could God allow this," I mutter under my breath. "I edged him on," I say.

"What do you mean?" asks Tony.

"While... while we were listening to Samael..." I pause and wipe a tear from my face with my palm.

I have to bite my tongue to keep myself from bawling and letting it all out. Its hard to calm down with so many things going through my head at once.

"Its alright, Ava, just tell us what happened," Carson urges.

"We were talking about how stupid this is--the vassal!" I say as I start bawling.

It occurs to me that I'm the only one crying like this and I call myself a wimp for letting it happen. Someone pats me on the shoulder but I shove them off and run away, past Lev who is just walking in with Ania. She calls out to me but I ignore her. I sit outside the fence under the sign that says Gilgal. Nobody's out here and I'm blocked from the view of the traffic on the road by an ambulance, so I feel secluded.