Chapter 4: The New Director...Lady in Red...

After Sophia's brief encounter with Mr. Bates she went back to the main Ballroom to make sure things were going to start on time. Finding Sara they went around to greet the rest of their guests and helpers.

The time was 7:20 pm and Christian Dornan was walking through the door of the Ballroom. He really didn't want to be there but he wanted to keep his word.

Walking in he noticed the amount of people supporting the Cause and recognized a lot of them that he knew. There were a few photographers going around taking pictures of them and the event.

"Photo Op...of course..." he tells himself as he watches them posing for pictures.

"Excuse me, Mr. Dornan?" Christian heard someone say his name from behind.

Turning around he saw a young man with a camera in his hands. "May I take your picture for the Center?!" he asked politely.

Sighing he turned fully around and nodded his head yes. He stood up straight and gave his signature look and waited for the flash to go off. The young man took a few pictures and thanked him for posing. "Thank You Mr. Dornan!" he exclaimed and walked away to continue his job.

"Do you ever smile?!" Christian hears from behind him and turns around to see non other than...her.

"Veronica, you know I only smile when I see fit. I'm not surprised to see you here." he tells the woman who now is in front of him as he cocks his brow at her.

"You know me Christian...I live for Fundraisers!" she tells him waiving her hand.

"Yes...I do. Surprised you could make this one? No 'Save the Whales' Rally tonight?!" he asked sarcastically.

"Ha Ha, you've always been so coy Christian. That is tomorrow night!" she mimicked his sarcasm.

"Hmm, I'm sure. So what is the reason you are here for this Cause?!" he asks looking around the room.

"It's a worthy cause. Do I have to have a reason? It's for the children Christian. Abandoned,  Abused and Battered Children. They need all the help they can get, the Center is in need of a lo...Plus I know the Director of the Center and some of the others employees. I try volunteering there when I can." she tells him now looking up at him.

Christian stood there listening to Veronica. He wondered how they ever ended up dating for six months a few years ago. They are alike in some ways but opposites in many. Veronica seems like a very Up Tight rich person and may look like a total snob, but in reality she is a "do gooder" as they call them and has a big heart, especially when it comes to helping those less fortunate than her. Her whole family is the same.

"I see...glad you are here...I suppose." he tells her as he looked at her from the corner of his eye.

"I feel the same about you being here.Did you come here by mistake thinking it was a Business Deal?!"

"I did as a matter of fact. But when I realized it was a Fundraiser, I decided, why not? I am hungry and I might as well stay for the champagne..." he tells her and grabs a glass of Champagne that a server was walking around with on a tray.

"Of course... always the opportunist." she chuckles.

They both stood there in silence for a few minutes until Sara walked up to Veronica followed by Mrs. Williams and her husband the Congressman.

"Veronica, how are you?" Mrs. Williams asks as she goes in for a hug and kisses both cheeks.

"I'm doing well Mrs. Williams, Sara hello!"