Part 9: The Tables Turn

Friday, November 6th, 1992: Elsa laid in bed beside Axl, thinking of the other morning when she woke up beside him with horrible feeling of guilt. She was feeling the same sickness now except it wasn't guilt but fear. And that was a lot worse.

She didn't know what to do but she knew she had to get out of here. She couldn't take waiting around like a hostage not knowing what he was going to do to her. He hasn't hurt her and when they make love she honestly does enjoy it. But she wasn't in love with him. She was in love with Slash.

Had this been before she met Slash, she might have really liked being with Axl. The idea of being with a possessive and slightly crazy man turns her on but she already had another man. And he was probably worried sick about her.

She slowly turned her head to look behind her and see if he was still asleep. His back was turned to her but his breathing was steady and he seemed to be sleeping.

Ever so slowly, Elsa pulled the covers back and got out of bed, trying to be even more careful than she was the day Slash came while they were in bed together.

She put on her shoes, unlocked the door, and slipped out into the hallway. She kept looking behind her as she was jogging away but the door stayed closed. She got to the elevator, got inside, and closed the doors. She pressed G and closed her eyes with a sigh of relief. She was actually getting away. 

Axl waited about a minute after Elsa was gone to get up. He grabbed the phone and dialed Tommy's number. When he answered the phone Axl told him, "It's time." then hung up.

When the elevator doors opened, Elsa half expected Axl to be standing there staring at her but he wasn't. A surge of happiness and excitement welled inside of her as she ran outside into the cold, dark night.

She flagged down a taxi and it took her to Slash's house. She beat on the door furiously, hoping he was home and would answer her. When the light turned on and she heard his footsteps coming to the door, she got even more happy.

When he opened the door she ran inside and jumped on. "Whoa, Elsa, it's two in the morning. You can't just scare a man like that." he said laughing. "I missed you so much. I'm so happy to see you."

"Tell me what happened. Where have you been?" "Axl had me tied up in his hotel room when you came. He's bee keeping me there and trying to make me 'his girl'." Slash sighed. "That sick bastard. Come upstairs where it's warm and you can tell me everything." 

They sat down in his bed together and she told him everything she'd been through. She even told him that they had been sleeping together. By the time she was done talking, she was certain that he wouldn't want anything to do with her anymore.

He was just sitting there staring down at the bed not saying anything. "Can you forgive me?" Elsa asked. "I honestly don't know." he replied.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him. "Can I try to convince you to forgive me?" he didn't protest when she continued kissing him and not even when she started taking her clothes off. They made love and although it felt good, he wasn't sure if it was enough for him to forgive her.

"I need a shower to clear my head." he told her. She watched him walk into the bathroom and shut the door. Since he didn't invite her to go with him, she took that as a bad sign.

Elsa got up and went downstairs to get a glass of water, feeling really disappointed. She was hoping that they'd be able to patch things up but maybe what she did was just unforgivable. 

She almost gagged as she was drinking her water. There was a hideous, putrid smell coming from down the hall. It was so foul and so strong that it made the air difficult to breathe in. 

She set the glass down and began following the smell, much like she had when Axl made her breakfast only it didn't smell anywhere near as good. The smell got stronger as she got closer to the basement. It smelled like something was rotting down there.

Elsa opened the door, turned on the light and peered inside. Her face fell and she tried to scream but no sound came out. There were two bodies lying in the corner, a man and a woman. They were both clearly dead but the man's body was so gruesomely beaten that Elsa thought she would faint.

She slammed the door and ran back into the house. She grabbed the phone in the kitchen and called the Hilton and asked to be transferred to Axl's room. When he answered she hysterically told him what she saw and he told her that he was on his way.

"Stay put but grab a bat or something in case he tries to hurt you! I'm calling the police and coming over right now!" Axl yelled in the phone.

He hung up and immediately called 911 then drove there as fast as he could.

Elsa sat in the corner of the kitchen crying her eyes out. She had just spent the last hour making love to a murderer. Not only did he kill two people but he just tossed them into his basement in plain view. How stupid could he be? Or, more accurately, how stupid could she be? She fell for his lies and his good looks and his charm. What if he had tried to hurt her just like Axl warned her?

She felt so happy and grateful that she had Axl. He wouldn't let anything happen to her.

Slash stepped out of the shower and dried himself off. As he was slipping on a pair of boxers he heard police sirens outside. "Come out of the house and put your hands up!" one of the officers demanded. He chuckled thinking one of his neighbors must have gotten caught for having drugs or something.

But when he looked out the window he was shocked to see that they were all in his yard. They must be telling him to come out.

"Elsa?" he called.

He went downstairs and saw the front door was open. From where he was standing, he could see Axl and Elsa hugging each other and looking straight at him. Slash rolled his eyes and walked outside casually and put his hands in the air. "Officers, I'm sorry about the damage I did to his hotel room but I don't think bringing an entire squad was necessary."

"Keep your hands up! You're under arrest!" "Under arrest?! For what?! For trashing a hotel room?!" Slash exclaimed. "For killing Brooke and her fiance Ben." Elsa sobbed. His eyes grew wide with panic. "What?! I never killed anybody!"

"You're a sick man, Slash. You're really sick." Axl said shaking his head.

"Give me one reason why I would kill them!" Slash yelled as an officer was putting him in handcuffs. "She already told me you've been stalking and threatening her for a while. She was scared for her life because she knew it was only a matter of time before you did something to hurt her." Axl said.

"That's not true! You made all of this up! You probably killed them yourself!" Slash yelled. Axl scoffed. "You can't blame me because you've got some screws loose! You snapped and killed two people! The evidence is right there!" he yelled, pointing to the two dead bodies that were in bags on the lawn.

"I never killed anyone!" Slash yelled.

They put him in the backseat of the squad car and closed the door. Axl looked down at Elsa who was clinging to him like scared child. "I love you, Elsa." She looked up at him and smiled a little. "I love you too."

 A police officer turned to Axl and Elsa and gave them a grave look. "I'm really sorry about all of this. But, rest assured, he won't be bothering you two anymore."

Axl smiled as he looked at Slash's scared face through the window. "I know."