Chapter 4

At the Royal Flush that night, Angelo sat at his desk and flipped over documents that Rafa laid in front of him. Some contained numbers; others showed charts and reflected the growth of his businesses. The last few were printouts that had nothing to do with work.

Angelo rested his head in his hand and thought about her. Where had a woman like Ella been hiding? Did she grow up in Orlando and what were her parents like? He assumed they were low profile with how proper she was and wondered if there was more meaning behind her attachment to Santiago's than childhood visits?

He did not know why he cared in the first place? He never bothered to look deeper than the surface for any woman? It must have been her pretty eyes or maybe her smile. Angelo looked at the ceiling. It was definitely her smile—pure and genuine, like her childlike excitement for the restaurant. Everything about her was real.

"Angelo," Rafa said and tapped on the desk. He was waiting for Angelo's approval on the numbers so he could leave for the night. "Tell me you aren't thinking about her."

"Thinking about who?" Angelo ignored the question and started signing.

"That girl."

"What girl?" Angelo nodded when he reached the end of the stack and slid the paperwork back to Rafa, tossing a brown envelope on top. "I want the information on Santiago's kept separate," he said and leaned back in his oversized chair, propping his feet on top of the desk.

"Angelo, what good is a tiny restaurant like that going to do for the group?"

"It's personal," Angelo said. "I wanted that information for myself—not the group."

Rafa shook his head and grabbed the entire stack. "Angelo, it can't happen. You know that. Your father won't approve of her. Even if he did, she's no match for your life. She couldn't handle someone like you. She's too innocent."

"For god's sake, Rafa, shut up. There isn't anything to happen. Let it go." Angelo scooted back and grabbed a glass and a bottle of bourbon out of the drawer. "Leave—go wherever it is you're going tonight. If I knew you were going to be this much of a pain in the ass, I wouldn't have taken you in."

"More like forced," Rafa huffed. "I should've explored my options since you always have a problem with my advice."

"Right...we both know you liked the money."

"Rafa looked thoughtful for a moment. "It helped but don't think that was the only reason I joined you."

"Then tell me what other reasons you had."

"Maybe another time." Rafa left the question unanswered. Angelo never asked Rafa about his life before he joined; Rafa never volunteered. Maybe Angelo would know more about him one day. The one thing he knew for sure was that Rafa was loyal.

"You have what you need. I'm going to the casino," said Angelo. "I need a break from all this paperwork."

"You're going to the casino—alone? You know there's always some sort of trouble that I have to fix the next morning every time you go alone."

"Jim is down there. Thomas and Sammy too—maybe Brett."

Rafa shook his head, looking worried about Angelo going alone. "Fine, I'm leaving. I have a life too...and a date—sort of. I'll be staying in my room tonight. Call me if you need me." Rafa said, walking out.

"Finally," Angelo sighed after Rafa left. The tight muscles in his neck were starting to loosen as he swallowed another shot and then two. He enjoyed the tingling sensation of the liquor as it trickled down his throat. He needed the numbing effects. After a morning with his father and an upcoming renovation, he did not want to think.