Chapter 5

Six days passed. Ella looked down at the white tablecloth and then at the front door. She had done this repeatedly over the last half hour. Her sweaty palms were evidence of her anticipation for six o'clock. No matter how many times she rubbed her hands on her skirt, they remained clammy and uncomfortable. She did not know whether to expect Angelo early or if he would arrive on time. Ella gave many tours of homes and offices, but none made her this nervous. What was it about him that filled her with anxiety?

"Mr. Santiago," an older woman with speckled gray hair said. There were two women and they were following Mr. Santiago to his office. "Thank you for agreeing to meet us tomorrow morning. I'm happy that we found this place. It'll be perfect."

"Of course," replied Mr. Santiago. Ella noticed no joy in his eyes. His back slouched more than the years on his body usually allowed. His head hung toward the floor.

"Would you mind if we took one more look around? I'd like to see the wine cellar again. It'll be a great hidden cubicle for our saltwater taffy line."

Saltwater taffy! Ella thought. They wanted to replace the antique wooden wine cellar with lines of colored candy against the walls? Mr. Santiago should have forbidden such a mockery of the cellar's intended use. The women had no idea what they wanted to buy. Ella vowed never to eat taffy again.

Mr. Santiago took a breath and looked at Ella. Her face flushed as she swallowed back any tears that threatened to escape. This was it. Santiago's final days as a restaurant were numbered.

Ella would not watch as the women gloated over how they would remodel the place. She stood up. She could not stand to be around the women another minute and flung open the front door.

Ella covered her face with her hands as she sat on a wooden bench at the end of the entrance. She lost her composure. She used to travel with her parents to Key Biscayne every holiday. Many happy memories with her mother were here: how she talked about the months she spent away at school; how they shared a slice of chocolate cake because they were too full to have their own; how they watched the sunsets on the patio over a cup of tea. Her last smiles and laughter with her mother would fade away with another pointless boutique.

"Ms. Collins."

"Hm?" Ella muttered. Her vision blurred through her watery eyes. With the prospective buyers, she forgot all about Angelo. She looked up and around him, disoriented as she searched for the two other men.

"Did you forget we have a meeting?"

"Oh," she said and shook her head. She opened her mouth to continue but instead looked past Angelo where the two women buyers exited the restaurant. They were chatting, still giddy about transforming the place. Ella felt the inside of her stomach tighten.

"Ms. Collins," Angelo said again. This time his tone was dry and annoyed.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Tomassi." Ella blinked a couple of times and wiped the tears from the corners of her eyes. "There's no point in showing you the restaurant now. Those two women who left are the ones who are going to buy it. They start the paperwork tomorrow."

"And what do they have to do with me? You agreed to the tour."

"Yes, I did," Ella sighed and gripped the arm of the bench, pushing herself up. "If you still want to see the restaurant, I will show you around."

"I didn't come to waste my time."

Did he not hear her? Ella could not figure out why Angelo still wanted a tour, but she did agree and he was standing in front of her. She might as well have one last good look herself.