Chapter Fifty-Five

Shai's POV:

I should have been more considerate about Miles' feelings. I'm meant to be dress shopping today and I don't think I can enjoy myself knowing one of my best friends won't be happy for me. Ansel said he would talk to him today, so I guess until then there's nothing I can do. I can't stop my life for him. I have been trying to act like it's not bothering me, but ever since he walked out it's been on my mind. Of course it means so much to me that everyone else has been supportive but Miles and I have been friends for years, I really thought he'd be happy for me. I always pictured us growing old with our own families and going on cute double dates. I never thought it would be this hard. 

-

Me and my mother wait outside the dress store for Ana, Zoë and my other friend Paige. I honestly don't really have an idea of what dress I'm looking for. I'm hoping that when I see the right one, I'll just know. Like when I first met Theo, I just knew he was right for me. First Zoë turns up and goes on about how excited she is for me and how she saw it coming since day one. I do love Zoë but she can be like a small child sometimes, partially why I love her. After waiting about another 10 minutes everybody's here and we're ready to go in. 

I look around and I'm surrounded by dresses and shoes and hair accessories. Don't get me wrong everything is so beautiful, but so daunting. It seems every detail counts and at the moment nothing seems right. My mum stays by my side whilst the girls go off and look at all the different dresses. This is such an insane experience.

After about half an hour of just looking through endless dresses I started to give up hope until I saw it. Hanging up in between other dresses was a beautiful long dress, it was plain white with diamonds randomly placed over it. Not in a tacky way but a way that when I stand in the sun they'll shine. This is the one, I can picture standing next to Theo in this dress, I can picture getting married in this dress. 

"I found it mum" I whisper and my mum gets the dress down. After looking it up and down she holds it up against me and gently gasps.

"It's beautiful Shai, it's so you." and the girls' attention is drawn to us as they notice I've found the dress. They stop and stare for a minute before getting all excited about how perfect it is. I try it on, bringing a tear to my mothers eye, and secret tear to my eye in the changing rooms and then I buy it. The only thing I really should get today are the bridesmaid dresses so we go into the next section of the store.

This part is full of more colourful dresses in children sizes too, which reminds me of Theo's niece, I would like her to be a bridesmaid too, but I'll sort that out tonight. This time it doesn't take me long before Ana and I find a light blue dress cut above the knee and fits like a glove. All the girls try it on and my mother a darker shade. Every single one looks beautiful and makes me so proud to have them a part of my wedding. 

-

"I'm back Theo!" I call as I see his head pop up from the sofa like a meerkat. 

"Why hello, beautiful" he says with a smirk. "Where are the dresses?" he asks confused and it makes me laugh. 

"I'm going to pick them up nearer the time, they're beautiful though" 

"Good, what colour, I want to match some things up" he says with a secretive smile. 

"Light blue, do it nicely" 

Ansel's POV:

"Miles, open the door. It's Ansel!" I call for like the 9th time. I know I haven't known Shai for as long as him but I've worked with her a lot and we've spent a lot of time together, and she's like my big sister. I'm not even here to make Miles feel bad, I'm here to understand. All I know is that he reacted slightly badly when he found out they were together, I don't know why at all. After a while I hear the door open and see Miles standing in his sweats. 

"What do you want Elgort?" he says walking away, allowing me in. 

"I want you to talk, just talk to me and I'll listen. I'm here to understand."

"You want me to talk? Okay sit down. " So I do. "You know what bothers me the most, is that she doesn't even consider my feelings, she could have told me she thought it was heading that way. You have no idea how much I like her Ansel, the first time I saw her I had no idea what I was feeling. I know this is stupid and I know she loves Theo, but I can't be there, I can't watch her commit her life so someone who isn't me."

"Woah man, that's tough, but you care for her right? Do you know what you're doing to her by not supporting her decisions. I get it's hard but you'll move on right? She's happy with Theo, but it's breaking her heart that you won't be there. I know this is up to you, but I'm just saying as your friend, sort your priorities okay mate?"

"I get it Ansel, is that all?"

"I guess so, see ya"

I leave the apartment without even looking back, I never knew he felt that strongly about Shai, but it's no excuse. If I cared about someone as much as he says he does he'll make sure he's making her happy so he can stay in her life. It may not be how he wants to be in her life but he'll regret it if he's not in it at all, and that's where this is heading. 

I debate calling Shai straight away because I think I want time to process it myself, and I also want to give time for Miles to either contact me or Shai. He didn't really give me an answer and I can tell he was thinking about what I said. I wonder if he'll come around.