Chapter 18: Lily

Today was the day. The day we fight for our lives. The day that will be written down in history as the Eleventh Hogwarts Games.

And today, for most of us, will be the last time we will ever see our parents.

When I woke up, I saw the girls I shared a dormitory with look at me in pity. All but one looked away when they noticed that I saw them. The girl who had not looked away said, "Good luck, Lily. I'm rooting for you."

I tried to eat a decent amount at breakfast, not too much, not too little. Albus kept picking at his food. "You better eat," James whispered to him urgently.

After breakfast, we were all sent back to our dormitories where someone would dress us. And sure enough, there was. A tall woman with dark hair and a stiff posture wasted no time to strip me down. "Hey!" I snapped, slightly mortified of this random stranger seeing me nude.

She ignored me and dressed me in a green bodysuit, "Done. Bring whatever you're taking with you to the arena to the Room of Requirement, they'll examine it there."

I grabbed A Wizard's Guide to the Essentials and headed to the Room of Requirement. On the way, I ran into Rose.

"Sorry," I muttered, not sure what to say to her. What do you say to your cousin whose brother you'd eventually have to fight to the death with?

"Oh, Lily," she tried to hold back her tears and looked at my arena clothes in disgust, "I-"

"You'll be late to class," I said.

"Forget class." I never thought I'd hear that from a daughter of Hermione Weasley. Then again, Ron Weasley was her father, "You're more important."

"Well, say what you need to say."

"Lily, I told you to take care of Hugo," Rose started.

"Yes."

"I want you to remember to take care of yourself as well, Lily. Don't always put yourself before others or it could be your downfall. Promise me."

I was silent momentarily, "I can't. You know me, Rose."

She didn't get angry or anything. She just sighed sadly, "It was worth a shot."

~

"It's now time to head to the Great Hall for an exchange of words with your loved ones," Bellatrix announced after we had finished up in the Room of Requirment.

A million thoughts swirled through my mind. My parents would be there. Why would I say? What would they say?

Much quicker than I thought, we had arrived at the Great Hall. I saw some familiar faces as well as unfamiliar.

Aunt Hermione and Ron rushed over to Hugo and embraced him while trying to hold back tears. Scorpius walked over to his family and hugged his mother. Molly was knocked over by a streak of brown. It was her sister, Lucy. She sobbed hysterically while squeezing. Uncle Percy watched them sadly.

"My Lily," someone sniffled behind me. "I love you so, so much." I was scooped up into Mum's arms.

"I love you, Mummy," I hadn't said that in so long, "I'll try as hard as I can. I want to see you again."

"Lily, know this," she made sure she had my full attention, "I'll never give up on you. I'm determined to never give up on you."

"Hey, did you forget your dad so soon?" Dad joked.

I threw myself at him, "Daddy!"

He returned my hug and whispered to Mum, "Go talk to the others."

She nodded and walked away, wiping at her eyes.

"Everything is going to change, Lily," Dad whispered to me.

"Well, yeah. I know, with all three Potters in the Games this year."

Dad shook his head and changed the subject, "How are you?"

I couldn't take it anymore. I buried my face in his chest and sobbed. He didn't question or anything. He just let me cry.

"I'm lousy," I sniffled. His shirt was slightly damp where my face had been, "I'll miss you."

He shook his head, "Don't think that way."

"It's inevitable," I simply replied.

"I'm so sorry," he mumbled so quietly that I almost didn't hear me.

"What for?" But I knew the answer.

"I'm sorry that you have to go through all of this because of me."

I looked at his face and saw tear tracks. "Don't be. Never be."

"I don't know if I deserve it."

"Dad," I clasped his hand, "I'll always love you. And I'm going to tell you what you always tell me. Be strong."

He gave a watery chuckle, "I guess I should heed my own advice."

I nodded, "And at least try to be safe."

He stared at me and sighed. "Sometimes, I forget how much you've grown up. Too fast. Don't worry about me."

"But what if you're not there? What if one day, something happens to you? What do I do then?" I asked.

"Let me tell you something a wise man once told me. The ones that love us never really leave us. You can always find them," he put his hand over my heart, "in here."

"And that's where you'll always be."

He stroked my hair and said, "Exactly. Now, I can't keep you all to myself." He pointed at Aunt Hermione who was approaching us. He went to go speak with James.

"It's funny. You sometimes remind me of myself when I was your age," Hermione looked at me through watery eyes.

"And why's that?" I asked.

"The books. The cleverness. It's all there. And you've made the same discovery as I," she said.

"What?"

"That there are far more important things than books and cleverness-"

I cut her off, "Friendship and bravery."

She smiled and nodded, "Yes. Keep that in mind. Be brave."

"Mind if I cut in?" Uncle Ron tapped her on the shoulder.

She shook her head, "No, not at all."

"I can be a total git sometimes," Ron mused.

I was confused, "What do you mean?"

"I have a tendency to be blinded by doubt and miss the important things," he plainly stated.

"What are the important things, then?" I wondered.

"Loyalty. Remember that," he hugged me and left.

Determination. Strength. Love. Friendship. Bravery. Loyalty.

I hoped it was enough.