Chapter 5

It had been a while since Ella wished to stay cooped up in her personal heaven. Even though her current occupation was not something she had ever intended to pursue, she had come to accept it and even enjoy it over time.

Life is truly unpredictable.

All of her dreams from back then looked far-fetched now. Nonetheless, she does not regret her choices. Despite the fact that her life had taken a new curve, she remained satisfied.

Now, she was not sure whether her feelings would remain the same.

Working as a manager at a café was not something she envisioned, but as the days went on, she began to enjoy her new profession. It did motivate her to get out of bed in the morning and go to work. She liked to walk to the café or drive herself to work. But, unlike on prior occasions, she did not wish to leave her residence.

The encounter with Daniel and Timothy is still fresh in her mind, and she did not exactly trust herself with the secret she had been withholding from him for the past six years. At the same time, she also knew that she could not hide from them forever. Further, with how she had been reacting towards them, their suspicion would only grow. She needed to get herself together. She needs to make things seem normal.

Both Daniel and Timothy knew her well. They might already have their doubts with reference to her current job. It was no secret that being in the medical field was one of her dreams. She would have to make some kind of excuse for a change of profession.

"Mom, I am ready." Lily broke her train of thought.

"Let's go." Ella smiled and led her daughter towards her car to drop her off at play school.

At present, after dropping off her daughter at her school and picking up groceries, Ella was driving around to the cafe, which was an almost twelve-minute ride.

As she was about to turn left, she saw two figures arguing on the sidewalk, and she stopped impulsively in front of them.

Daniel was annoyed. He was shooting daggers at Timothy and shouting at him for his careless attitude when a car stopped in front of them. The window rolled down, and both of them were surprised to see Ella looking at them with curiosity.

Where Daniel felt a bit awkward, lost for words to say to her, Timothy was elated to see her.

"Ella! You are my savior. My knight in shining armor." Timothy exclaimed dramatically.

"Um, is everything alright? What is going on?" Ella asked with a frown on her face, clearly confused.

"Well, you see, we kind of forgot to book a car..." Just as Tim spoke while scratching his neck, Daniel interrupted him with his hard gaze. "Not we. It was you, Timothy. You forgot to rent a car. I specifically asked you to do that, but you conveniently forgot."

"Okay-okay. I forgot to rent a car, so what? Even though we are here helplessly standing on the streets waiting for a cab, this is an adventure long overdue. Just relax, Dan. I will rent a car by the end of the day."

Before Daniel could interrupt him again, Ella spoke hesitantly, "Well, I can give you two a ride if you want."

"You are the best," Timothy said, shoving Dan into the passenger seat as he took the back seat.

"So where to?" Ella asked after both guys were sitting comfortably in her car. She was nervous with Dan sitting beside her in the passenger seat.

Timothy gave her the address. "It is not out of your way, is it?"

"No, don't worry about it. It is on the way to the cafe," she said while hitting the gas. They were going to meet a local interior designer whom she very well knew.