Chapter 13

It's been almost two hours since Daniel had to leave her house. He was sitting on the couch in his own apartment, contemplating when to see Ella next. Just when he decided to call Aubrey to check on his daughter Lily, his phone rang, and much to his disappointment, it was Fred instead of Ella.

He picked up his phone. But before he could say anything, Ella's father started to speak. He sounded petrified. "Dan, come to Ella's place right now. She is not opening her door."

"Fred, don't panic. I am on my way."

Wasting no more time, Dan took the car keys and rushed to the mother of his daughter's place.

Within five minutes, he reached and saw Fred banging on the door. Even Ron and Aubrey were trying to call her.

"What's going on?" He asked them worriedly.

"Ella has locked herself inside. I tried to call on her phone, but it was switched off. She is not responding to either of us," Aubrey explained.

"Do you guys have a spare key to this house?" He asked them.

"We are idiots," Ron muttered, and he rushed to get the keys from his home. Within a few minutes, he came back and unlocked the door.

Dan and the rest of them were relieved to see that Ella was safe and fine. But the sight was still not good. She was beyond drunk.

"Ella." He called out to her.

"So, you are back. You shouldn't be here. Go away and take Lily with you. I want to be alone." She stated.

"Shortcake, why don't you give me this bottle?" He asked her patiently.

"This?" She showed him the bottle to confirm it, but she brought it close to her heart when he nodded. "No. I want to drink more. It feels so good to drown myself in misery. Now, leave me alone." She began drinking again.

Fred, Aubrey, and Ron wanted to go towards her, but Dan showed his hand, asking them to stay where they were when they attempted to.

"Ella, you don't want to drink. You are just upset. Let's get you to bed, and then, when you are sober, we can both talk." He carefully chose his words.

"No, you won't. Tomorrow, you will go back to your normal self and maintain a distance from me. It's better you go away from here and even take Lily with you. You know what Bellatrix and Candice said. I am not fit to be a mother. My own mother died after giving birth to me. My dad abandoned me. Everyone lied to me. So what's there to be sober about? Plus, it's my fault that she stayed away from all of you. I am a terrible mother. Worst mother of all kinds." She croaked.

Dan knew that Ella was emotionally shaken up.

"How about I promise you that, tomorrow morning, I will be up by your side and, once you get up, the first thing we will do is talk?" It was more of a statement than a question.

"I don't believe you. Just go away, Danny. I know that none of you want anything to do with me. My mother should not have sacrificed herself for me. I was better off dead."

Daniel's eyes were filled with tears. He wanted to shake some sense into her for even having such a terrible thought.

"Ella, please. Don't you dare say that. I cannot even imagine my life without you. Don't ever think about such nonsense. Now give me that bottle."

"No, just leave. I want nothing to do with any of you. I am done. Go away."

"You really want Lily to see you like this, drunk. Don't you think our daughter deserves to see how much you love her? I promise you everything will be alright. Please listen to me." Daniel tried to reason with her, but it was a futile attempt.

"Don't make promises that you cannot keep."

"Have I ever broken any promises that I made to you? Ella, I am the same Danny you know, and I promise you that I didn't know the truth about your mother. Please, Ella, trust me. I promise you, we will talk things out, and I will never leave you. Call me selfish, but I love you too much for that to ever happen. You have no idea how miserable I have been these last six years."

He slowly moved towards her until they were only feet apart.

"Pinky, promise." She showed her last finger to him, and he crossed it with his.

"Yes, pinky promise. Come on now." He tried to hold her, but she was falling on him.

Daniel scooped her in his arms and took her to the room, and after fifteen minutes, he came back to where everyone was sitting.

"This is all my fault," Fred stated once Dan sat beside him.

"It doesn't matter who is to blame. But what I know is that you guys really need to sort everything out." Ron told them. "You know, I still remember the first time I met her. I was returning home from a medical conference when I saw her car crash into a tree. When I rushed there, I saw that she was unconscious and immediately took her to the hospital, only to find her pregnant. We all took her in and helped her to stand on her feet. She didn't give away the whole truth, but from bits and pieces, we knew that she needed us, and, within a short period of time, she became part of our family."

"And I don't know how to thank you enough for that," Fred told him.

"Fred, you do recognize that Ella would never leave this place when everything is sorted out?" Dan told Fred, as he knew Ella too well.

"I do, and I will never force her to." He replied back. "Do you think Ella would ever forgive me?" He asked him anxiously.

"Do you really think she wouldn't, Fred? She is your daughter, after all. Give her some time." Dan smiled at him.

"You know, Dan, she is just like her mother. Exact replica. You really are a good guy. And that's the primary reason why I never had a problem with you dating my daughter. Thank you for always standing beside her when I couldn't do it. Her mom would be glad that she found someone like you."

"Fred, I love her. Whatever may happen, I am going to stand beside her. And no one could separate me from her or my daughter. Both of them are my world. And as for her mother, I really wish she was here."

"Me too, Dan, metoo." Fred sighed.