Chapter 5

"Haley."

The way he says my name is so gentle, so kind that I nearly forget who I'm talking with. He stands up and closes the distance between us faster than I can blink. One moment he's sitting down, the next he's standing right in front of me, those green eyes boring into mine. I try to take a step back but he leans even closer so that we are only couple inches apart. 

"No, I'm sorry, you've got me confused with someone else", I say idiotically even though I'm the only Haley going to this school. And hopefully the only Haley he had sex with last weekend. I start to walk away again but he grabs my arm before I get too far. "So you're saying you're not Haley Marissa Roberts?"

I blink. How does he know my full name? Sure, we go to the same school but that doesn't explain how he knew my middle name too. Or why he would have bothered to memorize it.

Nathan chuckles. "Thought so", he says teasingly. Then his eyes turn to serious again. "Why did you run out on me?"

I can't muster a reply. His eyes are so bright green and the expression on his face is too much for me to handle. "After everything that happened I didn't think you'd just leave", he continues when I still won't answer him.

"Uh, what?" I can't help but ask. "What do you mean? What happened?"

You know, aside from the fact that you took my virginity and I woke up in your arms, of course.

He casts his eyes down, sighs sounding defeated and mumbles something. It sounds like he said 'it worked'. Before I get the chance to ask what worked, he looks back at me, his expression completely changed from sorrowful to cheerful. Is it just me or does his smile look a little fake like he has to keep reminding himself to keep it up?

"I'm here for my leather jacket", he smirks then. "Some kleptomaniac took it with them."

I blush and look away. "I wouldn't know. But if you give me a place I can send it to, I'll make sure what's yours will be returned to you."

"Or you could just let me drive you home and you could give it back then."

I stare at him. "Uh, I don't think that's a good idea."

"I think that it's a great idea. Come on, let's go." He starts walking and takes my hand in his as he passes me by. I release my hand from his grip and notice a faint flash of pain in his eyes due to my rejection but it quickly disappears.

"So where to? Your mom's or your dad's?" he asks as I reluctantly sit down next to him in his beautiful black BMW convertible.

I stare at him. "How do you know all that about me?"

He seems to regret saying it. "You mentioned your parents were divorced so logically I figured you were staying with one of them."

"Why? Why would I talk about my parents to you? I don't even know you!" I snap without meaning to. My family is just a touchy subject to me. I don't even talk about my home situation with my closest friends because I don't want them to see me cry but apparently I have been pouring my family problems to a complete stranger!

Nathan shrugs and avoids looking at me. "I guess I have one of those faces", he says wryly.

I scoff. Yeah right. As if anyone in the Blood family has a face that makes people want to confide in them. The only way they get secrets out of anyone is by forcing them out. Those who aren't a part of their gang don't know that much about them but the wild rumors flying around make up for it. What I do know for certain is that their family is big. If I remember correctly, Nathan alone has three siblings, one girl and two boys. His father is the most feared man in the city and his mother scares the living crap out of everyone who dares to think that she is any less evil. They are not a family you invite to a tea party. They probably don't even know what tea parties are.

I catch Nathan smiling at my reaction. I take it as a good sign and force myself to talk to him before I lose my nerve again. I have a feeling that he holds the key to all that I'm missing. I just have to brave enough to ask.

"So since you know so much about me... I think it'd be only fair to even the score a little, don't you think?" I say and hold my breath as I wait for him to answer. "The details of last weekend are a little... hazy."

Nathan's shoulders tense immediately. "What do you want to know?" he asks cautiously.

"Something, anything, so I don't have to feel so utterly lost all the time. For example..." I rack my brain to find something to ask. The trouble is that I have so many questions that I don't even know where to start. "Why did we check into a hotel together?"

He looks away, not wanting to meet my eyes. "Why do people usually get a hotel room?" he replies evasively.

I close my eyes. So it's true. Apparently I'm some kind of a crazy slut who just sleeps with whoever. How could have I been so heartless? I love Troy, we've been together for years. Why did I throw it all away for someone I don't even really know?

"I can't believe this", I mumble. I try not to let it show but I'm staring at Nathan. What was so special about him that I decided to give him my virginity? Was it his beautiful green eyes that too often look somber and closed off? Or the way he says my name, like he has known me forever? Or was it because he has a habit of clouding my mind and staying there?

To escape my thoughts, I try to come up with another question and then I remember something Andrea said. "Why did you get suspended?"

"I did the world a favor but principal Higgins didn't agree with the execution of my idea", he says mysteriously.

I raise a brow. "And which favor might that be?"

"That's enough questions. Besides, we are at your house."

I look up and find him right. I was so focused on Nathan that I didn't even notice how the scenery passed us by. We are now parked in front of my house although I never told him where I live or which parent's house I wanted to go to. I turn to look at Nathan to thank him for the ride and get the hell out of this weird situation. My eyes meet his and they lock into one another. Without realizing it, I lean forward, closer.

He reaches across the car, his fingers nearly touching my cheek before he pulls away. He curses under his breath. "I didn't think this would be so hard", Nathan mutters. Then he sighs, his eyes staring right ahead with a pensive look in them. "You should go now, Haley."

"O-okay", I say feeling a little hurt. I gather my things and open my seat belt. His eyes follow my every move and then they stop in my face. They pick up on my changed mood and he grabs my hand to stop me from leaving.

"I'm sorry, Haley", he says but it seems like he's apologizing for more than just for practically kicking me out of his car.

My voice comes out surprisingly faint. "For what?" I whisper.

"For... everything. But it's better this way", he says and I'm not sure which one of us he's trying to convince. As soon as I'm out of the car, he steps on the gas and speeds away. As I watch him go, I realize he forgot his leather jacket.