Chapter 45

Snow glows white on the Blood Manor tonight. It glistens on the ground, covers the large terrace where Nathan and I walk to get some air. My breaths go up in tiny clouds as I try to get over the fact that I'm surrounded by monsters. Baby-eating monsters. Geesh. I'm starting to understand why Nathan didn't want me to socialize with the guests. If most of them have interesting little habits like that I don't want to talk to them.

And here I thought my family was weird just because my dad's sisters don't get along and haven't talked in twenty years. And because my grandma was a total drunk and grandpa is scared of toasters and no one knows why. He gets all pale and shaky if he hears a toaster go off. Once I was there for a sleepover and made the mistake of eating a Pop-Tart for breakfast. It was not pretty. 

I turn to tell Nathan that I'll be okay in a sec but the words get stuck in my throat when I hear a familiar voice inside my mind.Haley. Run. It sounds terrified and urging. As I hear the words I get an image of running blindly through the woods while being chased by someone or something. Haley. Run. 

I search the desolated yard before us. "Troy?" I call out incredulously. Is Troy here? Why can I hear him?

"What?" Nathan asks. I ignore him and make my way to the premises. At the beginning of this night I thought my choice of shoes was stupid because all the other girls in here seemed to be wearing high heels but right now I'm very happy I'm wearing ballerinas. They may be cold as heck but at least I'm able to walk. I take a few more steps and try to hear the voice again. But there's nothing. It's a beautiful New Years Eve night: cold and clear. Shining stars compete with the fireworks sometimes blazing in the sky. Some people have decided to start celebrating early although we are only few minutes shy of midnight and a new year. 

I stare at the far off forest that starts from the back of the Blood property. "I could have sworn I heard Troy's voice", I wonder out loud. 

Haley. Run. 

I flinch as I hear the voice again and look around. I get another image. I see myself far away on the other side of the yard. Someone is coming and fast. And they can see me. "Nathan, something bad is going to happen", I state with absolute certainty. "We need to get back inside." 

Nathan doesn't stop to question, he simply nods and starts leading me inside. But before we have gotten even two steps I hear Troy's voice again, this time it's not inside my head, it's only few feet away. "Haley, run! I'll hold her off but you have got to run!" he shouts. 

He appears in my field of view and I let out a silent cry. He's bleeding, badly. It looks like Edward Scissorhands decided to caress his face with too much force. I quickly pull my hand from Nathan's and run to Troy who is wobbling on his feet. I catch him just as he's about to fall. His brown eyes look up at me apologetically. "I'm so sorry, Haley. For... everything." 

His tone sounds like the one that should be reserved to deathbeds. Only the catch is that he can't die, he's already dead.

"Don't talk like that. Troy, what happened? Who did this to you?" I force myself to ask. I need to understand what's happening and not faint from the amount of blood that is dripping from his head like my body would like me to do. He's a vampire now, I sternly remind myself. The head wound that would have killed anyone else will heal. I just have to wait and try not to panic.