Chapter 30

My mom's movements are cyclic and precise, like clockwork. First, she checks the setting on our dining room table for the umpteenth time. Then she goes to check on the salmon that's cooking in the oven. From there she walks by the mirror, fixes a non-existent loose strand of hair and goes to check from the window if her mystery man is here already. And then she goes to the dining room and the circle closes. It's pretty adorable, really. I've never seen my mom act so coy, so nervous.

"He'll get here when he gets here", I say when she goes for the window again.

"I know, I know, I just... What if the doorbell is broken? Or we are in a different room and can't hear him come? Or what if--"

I groan. "Okay, Mom, seriously, you have got to chill. It's just one guy", I say but I'm smiling when I do. This guy must be something special if he's got my mom so head over heels for him. I'm happy too see that Mom is moving on with her life. The divorce hit her pretty hard so seeing her act so coy brings a smile to my lips.

Then the doorbell rings and my mom catapults to the door. I roll my eyes but make my way to the living room to greet the soon to be revealed mystery man.

When I see the person walking in I nearly choke on the piece of bread I just swallowed. What the hell is he doing here? I think and stare at the idiot cop from last night who is now kissing my mother's cheek. After he's done I feel like going in there and wiping his spit off my mother's skin. Why oh why did my mother have to find the creepiest guy in town to date? I probably should be grateful that she hasn't met Oliver or I'd be stuck here with him as our dinner guest!

"Something smells great in here, Mandy", the cop tells her appreciatively and my mom, the woman I've always admired and looked up to, giggles like an idiot. I on the other hand shoot the guy a look that he doesn't notice. Mandy? What is she, a six-year-old? Her name is Amanda, you idiot.

But my mom blushes and smiles back. "Come on, I want you to meet my daughter, Haley. Haley, this is David Norton", she introduces us. So the jackass has a name. I decide not to say anything about last night if the cop says silent as well. After all, it's more embarrassing to him than to me but knowing what Mom thinks about the Bloods I don't want to start a family feud in front of this jerk. We sit down in living room and I let mom and the cop take care of the conversation. Once we get to eating they get to the good part - how they met.

"We met when I reported a child abuse case and Dave came by to take my statement", Mom explains to me and smiles at Dave. "I never thought that I'd meet someone like you just by doing my job."

"The pleasure is all mine", Dave winks at her and I feel the urgent need to barf on both of them. To distract myself I think of what Mom just said. Child abuse case? Suddenly I put two and two together when I remember how often my mom comes home and complains about some part of the Blood family. This could explain why the Bloods don't like my mom and vice versa.

"Was it one of the Bloods?" I quickly inquire.

"You know I can't tell you that. But I can tell you that as usual those bastards walked away free of charges", my mom says and her irate tone that I've learned to associate with the Blood family tells me that my lucky guess was right.

"That's what I want to change about this town. I want people to be able to trust in the law enforcement again", Dave declares like a freaking mayor of this town and not just some petty cop.

Yeah, sure, I scoff in my mind. Just like you believe that everyone is equal in the eyes of law and that no one should be prosecuted without a good reason. You know, if you don't count the Bloods but hey, they aren't really people so screw their rights. Then again... do demons even have human rights?

My pouncing thoughts are cut short when my mom continues talking and I prick up my ears to hear what she has to say.

"It's about time that someone takes charge in this town. I'm so sick and tired with having to play tug of war with the Bloods. They are a seriously disturbed family, I can tell you that much. Just look at that case you investigated, Dave. Even the kid tried to tell us that the frostbites were his own fault. But where would a six-year-old kid get frostbites in his hands in June if not from his parents? They probably used a fire extinguisher or something. It's sickening."

Or maybe the kid in question is a supernatural being with an ability to freeze his hands, I think and the certainty in my words surprises me. I don't believe for a second that any of the Bloods would hurt their kids. Physically, I mean. The mental health of Blood children is tested simply by living in that creepy ass manor. But I've spent some time around them and no matter how screwed up in the head they are otherwise, I could feel how much each and every one of them love their family.

"Maybe it was an accident", I try to propose but my words are met with utter silence.

"No, I don't think it was, Hales. The kid came to kindergarten almost every day with a new set of frostbites all around his body. It was excruciating to see", my mom says then and her voice shakes a little. Even if my mom acts like a badass at times, she's a total softy. She loves her kids at work a lot and I can understand her pain and rage when she thinks that one of them is being abused at home.

"You sure seem affiliated with them, Haley", Dave joins in. His words make my stomach drop. Here we go, I think and take a deep breath. Soon enough there'll be none left when my mom finds out about my fling with Nathan.

My mom giggles. "Our little Haley? With the Bloods? I think you've got it wrong, dear", she says confidently. In her mind there's no doubt about it. Haley is not affiliated with the Bloods, end of story. Because there is no way her daughter would hang out with the Bloods after hearing about all the bad things they have done. No way.

"Well, last night one of them drove her home", Dave continues casually and I suddenly have a very vivid flash of an image of me strangling him with his stupid ironed shirt. I can't believe the nerve on this guy. Who the hell is he to mess with my relationship and with my mother?

"And you followed us like a creepy stalker", I can't help but snap.

My mom looks confused. "Haley? Have you been hanging around with those people? You know that I don't like them."

"Nathan is not like the rest of them", I blurt out and instantly regret saying it. I sound like a defensive teenage girl with a bad boy crush. Well, maybe I am one but I don't have to defend myself or Nathan to these two. I know that he's a good man and that should be enough.

Mom sighs as if I'm being the idiot and not her. "I'm sure you think that. You think he's some kind of misunderstood bad boy with a heart of gold", she says and even though I know that she didn't mean it that way, she just perfectly captured the very essence of Nathan's being. He is a misunderstood bad boy with a heart of gold. I've never met anyone like him, anyone who is so good yet so bad at the same time.

"It can be hard to see. I remember when my little sister turned sixteen. She went out with this petty criminal for a couple of weeks and you can believe that our folks did not like it one bit which is probably why she did it. Everyone needs to act out at some point and for many dating criminals is the way to do it. There's something about the uncertainty and unfamiliarity that makes it all very exciting. That is of course before you find yourself in a holding sell for a crime your lover committed but you went down for..." Dave drones on and I tune him out. What a jackass, I think and turn to look at my mom to roll my eyes at her. But her eyes are admiring and glued to Dave.

Looking at my mom nodding along to everything Dave says I suddenly realize that nothing I can say will change their minds. They have already decided that I'm just a lovestruck teenager and Nathan an unrepentant criminal. I let my fork hit the plate with a kling and get up. I'm not going to sit here and listen to them slander Nathan. I hear my mom call after me but I ignore it and head to my room. I'm so irritated that I'll probably bite Dave the Friendly Neighborhood Watchdog's head off if I stay here for one second longer.

I fall on my bed and put on my headphones to calm myself down. When Kiss Me by Ed Sheeran starts playing I almost change the song because I'm so not in the mood for listening to romantic songs. But there's one line that catches my attention. "Settle down with me // And I'll be your safety // You'll be my lady." I think back to the night Nathan stayed over and remember how his lips felt against mine. He was so surprised that I kissed him. Like he couldn't understand why I'd kiss him. Then I think of Nathan himself, the way being around him always makes me feel. Without thinking twice I dial his number and wait for him to pick up.

He picks up after a few rings. "Haley?"

"Hey. Um, where are you?" I can hear laughter and chatter in the background. He's not at home. Damn it. He - like any normal guy - is probably out with friends. It's Saturday night after all.

"I'm just hanging with the twins and Mike", he says. Now it sounds like he's walking away from the noise. I can hear Lukas yelling something and making kissing noises. Even in my enraged and frustrated state of mind that doesn't fail to amuse me.

"Haley, what's wrong?" Nathan asks when the noise is gone.

I suddenly regret calling him. He's obviously having a good time and I don't want to burden him with my family problems. "Nothing. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have called, I just--"

Nathan interrupts my apologies. "I've heard a theory that when a girl says that nothing's wrong, everything is wrong. Do you want to come hang out with me and the guys?" he offers right away and I fight a smile. He's always there for me.

"No, I'll be fine", I say even if I'd like nothing more than to run away with him.

"Are you at home?"

"Yeah."

"I'll come and get you", he says and before I'm able to say that he shouldn't bail on boys' night to hang out with me, the line falls dead. I try to call him again but he doesn't pick up.

In a way I can't wait to see him, hug him and let him console me but then again I don't want to be one of those girls who make their boyfriend drop everything to hang out with them. Not that Nathan is my boyfriend but the same applies to him. I shouldn't have called him. Maybe he heard my tone and thought that I sounded desperate and being the amazingly kind guy he is he felt like he needed to help.

All of a sudden I hear a motor revving on our yard. I grin incredulously. Did he get here already? I change clothes from a plain white dress to a pair of jeans and a red hoodie. My hair is up with a braid bun and I have too much make up for just a casual night out but it'll have to do. I don't want to stay here any second longer than I have to. I pick up my bag and run down the stairs.

"Where are you going?" my mom asks when she rushes to the lobby with Dave glued to her side.

"I think I'm going to go. You know, with my misunderstood bad boy. And you know what? He does have a heart of gold", I snap and enjoy all of ten seconds of the appalled looks on both my mom and Dave's faces before walking out the door. Nathan's already there, standing with his hands in his pockets in front of a red Lamborghini that I don't recognize.

I run up to him and hug him tight. "Hey babe", Nathan says softly and kisses my forehead. "Are you okay?"

I start to say yes but find myself shaking my head. "Let's just get out of here", I plea and he nods. His face hardens when he glances behind me. Dave and my mother stand on the porch and she's yelling at me to get back home.

"Your wish is my command", Nathan says but his voice is missing its usual spunk. I know that he's worried about me but I don't want to worry anymore. I just want to drive until I see stars in my eyes. When I get inside the gorgeous car I notice that Klaus is driving, Lukas has the shotgun and Mike is on the back seat. They all turn to look at me.

"I'm sorry to have interrupted your night", I apologize to them as soon as I'm seated down. I don't want them to think that I hijacked their night just out of spite or jealousy.

"Don't sweat it, Haley. If there's something all of us understand it's fucked up family situations", Mike says comfortingly and the rest of them nod eagerly at his words to express their agreement. I make a sound that's something of a sob or a laugh. Yes, I guess they do understand what it's like.