Chapter 2

Ivystream shuffled her paws nervously. RiverClan was so populated, and their Leader thought that meant it was appropriate to bring a lot of cats. Some said that, just a few season-cycles ago, RiverClan only brought five or six cats. Now they brought eight or ten.

ShadowClan appeared one by one, and Ivystream ducked under the surprised gazes of the Warriors. Even Maplestar looked surprised at the number of cats their leader, Cinderstar, had brought to the Gathering.

Ivystream watched as ThunderClan paraded in next, with Batstar at the front of the pack. They brought a large amount of cats too; Ivystream counted around seven, not including apprentices. She sighed in relief that RiverClan wasn't the only one to bring an unusually large amount of warriors. She twitched her tail curiously as their medicine cat - Bramblefoot? - followed Batstar up into the Great Tree, sitting beside him like she was a leader herself. In fact, as she looked over, RiverClan's medicine cat- Poppystep- also clambered up on the Great Tree and whispered something in Cinderstar's ear. The solid gray leader nodded and allowed the Medicine Cat to stay.

Now Cloudleaf, the ShadowClan medicine cat, copied them. He stood beside Maplestar proudly, chest puffed out, eyes full of purpose.

Where was WindClan? The moon was almost starting to peek above the Great Tree's highest branches. They should be here soon.

Ivystream's question was answered when a rustle and a murmur told her WindClan had arrived. Their leader, Ryestar, looked so thin he could be carried off by a gentle breeze. His golden pelt was dirty with sand and mud, and his eyes were dim. Dainty paws seemed to barely make an indent in the soil. Ivystream gaped in horror when she saw his warriors. He had only brought four of them, and all of them were no better. One of them was an apprentice, no older than eight or nine moons of age, and she followed Ryestar up onto the Great Tree with great difficulty, small claws only just penetrating the ancient bark.

"Everyone quiet down!" It was Maplestar, the biggest of the Leaders. Her tail was held high, fluffy, but at the same time matted and dirty. She was just as hungry as the rest; weak. "The medicine cats have an announcement to make."

Bramblefoot stepped onto a forward-pointing branch, giving herself the center of attention. "Last Full Moon, us Medicine Cats had a vision. Mine was the ThunderClan Nursury, filled with dead kits. Cloudleaf's dream was ShadowClan's camp decimated by undergrowth and covered in long, clawlike thorns. Poppystep's was RiverClan's camp, with no water for miles on end and dry as a bone. Ternpaw's was WindClan's territory full of sand and wind, without grass and no visible life, just eternal baking sun."

All the cats of the Clans, even the leaders, gasped in horror at the news. Ivystream hunched nervously. StarClan was showing the Clans their own demise! They truly were cruel. The rivers were void of fish, and the lake even moreso. She imagined that the other territories were just as bad, judging by their Warriors.

"But that doesn't mean all hope is lost." Bramblefoot cried over the din, and everyone quieted. "With these dreams came a promise of prey, harmony and fitness once again. But this must mean the Leaders face a hard decision."

Everyone glanced at their respective Leader. Ivystream wondered if Cinderstar could make tough decisions. She tended to be optimistic and have fun in all things she did, even in the worst situation. Did she have a serious bone in her?

"StarClan has spoken. On the next Full Moon, the Leaders must not treat it like a normal Gathering. They must choose one or two cats fom your Clan, and then bring them here. These cats will go on a journey outside the Valley, to search for a new homeland. They will then return, one by one, and collect all cats who wish to go - and found new Clans."

Gasps and whispers burst from the crowd, and Ivystream ducked her head, flattening her ears away from the din. Found new Clans? How could there ever be any more than four? She knew about the distant Tribe of Rushing Water, but that was the only other group of cats she knew about other than the four Clans. How were they sure new Clans would settle well? And would they keep in touch, or live seperated? Is this really what StarClan wanted?

Ivystream glanced up at the sky. The moon was round as an egg, and not a cloud drifted over it. Even the stars themselves seemed to glitter a little brighter. This truly was what their Warrior Ancestors wanted.

Ivystream looked back to the Medicine Cat as she raised her tail for silence.

"We must all return to Camp and feed ourselves." Bramblefoot meowed. "We cannot afford to be at a Gathering all night with so many mouths, big and small, to feed."

With that, the Medicine Cats clambered back down. First it was Bramblefoot, then Poppystep, then Cloudleaf, and then Ternpaw. That's when it happened.

The little she-cat misstepped. Her thin back paw slipped and she plummeted to the ground. Ryestar jumped down to catch her, but she fell too fast and hit the dirt with a puny thud.

One of WindClan's four warriors let out a howl of grief and bolted forward. "Ternpaw!" He cried, bristling. Judging by their similar coat colors, Ivystream decided they were siblings. The young tom looked up at the Medicine Cats, ears flat. "Is she okay? She's not breathing!"

A horrified cry came from all four Clans. Poppystep hurried over, gently pressing the wrist of her forepaw against Ternpaw's throat, searching for any signs of life.

"I'm so sorry, young one." The she-cat murmured sadly. "She was too weak. The fall... Killed her."

The tom stared in horror at the fallen body of Ternpaw. "No!" He cried. "She can't be dead! She can't be!" His chest, thin with hunger, heaved with a wail as it escaped his throat. He crouched over her little body and curled up tightly around her. She was barely half his size.

Ivystream shut her eyes tightly. This death awoke something in her heart. The Clans needed to send cats out to find a new homeland, so their numbers were halved - less mouths to feed. The original Clans would still be in tact, but there would be four brand-new Clans to pass on StarClan's knowledge, broaden their skies and have more cats.

She would be one of the cats to depart!