Chapter 14

After the Tribe cats had taken them to the cavern, things had gone surprisingly smoothly, in Bramblefoot's opinion. Right now she was talking to the Teller-To-Be, as they called him - named Sun That Glows Off Water, or Sun for short.

"So, what does your leader do?" She meowed, flicking her tail back and forth.

"He keeps us together," Sun said solemnly. "He keeps life in control. Everything we do is his call, but only I have ever seen him." He meowed. "He tells us what to do, how to do it, and when."

Bramblefoot blinked. "How?" She asked. "If no-one's ever seen him?"

"He tells me and speaks through me." He said softly. "It's a great honor. When he joins the Great Tribe of StoneTellers, I will take his place." He meowed slowly.

Bramblefoot flicked her ear skeptically. "I see." She meowed. "So, do you have a healer?"

"Hm?" He tilted his head. "Our StoneTeller is our healer." He meowed in confusion.

"Ah," Bramblefoot nodded. "I see. In our Clans, the Medicine Cat is seperate from the Leader."

Sun opened his mouth when a great commotion echoed through the cavern. Bramblefoot turned and looked for the source; two cats flew out of the cavern that had been reserved for the queens (so she'd been told), and she stood, fearing the worst.

A silver tabby she-cat was bushed up and snarling, her tail lashing. Before her stood the curled up, fluffy form of Gorsewhisker, claws unsheathed and teeth bared.

Sun stood and trotted over hurriedly. "What is the meaning of this?" He snarled, drawing himself up to full height.

"She tried to steal my kit!" Gorsewhisker howled, taking a swipe at the molly.

"I was nursing him!" The queen growled. "He was skin and bones, he needed milk!"

"Enough!" Sun cried, and both cats fell silent, though still angry and tense. "Gorsewhisker, we understand you are defensive of your offspring. But Lavender was only helping your child."

"He doesn't need help from any Tribe cat," Gorsewhisker growled.

"Gorsewhisker!" Bramblefoot meowed in horror. "You'd rather let Harekit starve than let a queen give him the vital milk he needs?"

Gorsewhisker glowered at her, lashing his tail angrily, before flattening his ears. "Fine! You can nurse him. But I'll be sleeping right next to you the whole time. Got it?" He spat.

Sun lashed his tail. "Be careful, Gorse Whisker-"

"Gorsewhisker!"

"-Gorsewhisker. You are in another group's domain, and we outnumber you in strength and health. We could easily chase you out of our lands."

Gorsewhisker fluffed up angrily. "To the Dark Forest with you and your lands." He hissed, turning and stalking into the Nursery. "My kit is going to be safe, whether you approve or not!"

Bramblefoot sighed as Sun came back over. "I have a question," He meowed as he grew close.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Why does the kit's name end in -kit?"

"Oh," Bramblefoot smiled, "That's the name he'll hold until he's six moons old. Then he'll be called Harepaw, and be taught how to take care of himself. And when he's learned all there is to know, he'll earn a suffix in his adulthood that he'll keep forever."

Sun smiled, twitching his tail. "We have kit-names, too. For example, my name was Wobble. We're named after something we do when we're young." He meowed. "For me, I shook a lot. We keep that name all through our kithood. At eight moons we become To-Bes, but we keep the name our mother name. We discover our names while training with our Tribemates. For example, I found my name when I used the glint of the sunset off the river to my advantage, and caught my first rabbit."

Bramblefoot enjoyed talking to this strange tomcat. He was interesting. "So, are you the StoneTeller's son?" She asked.

Sun gaped. "No!" He meowed. "StoneTellers don't have kits. Ever. When StoneTeller chose me at birth, I was destined to never bear kits."

She blinked. A bit odd, but I understand. She nodded and curled up, yawning as she watched an old tomcat lift out of his nest and hobble to the opening of the cavern.

"Good night, Chirp," Sun called out.

"Good day, Sun," Chirp replied.

Bramblefoot flicked her ears curiously and looked up at Sun.

He smiled at her and suddenly spoke to the entire clowder of cats. "It's time for the Tribal Feast. Our guests will also eat from our Caught-Prey."

Bramblefoot stood up. "Want to share?" She asked, hoping that was something they did.

"Sure," He purred with a smile. "Come; we can share a hare, if you'd like."

Bramblefoot nodded and stepped over as a few of the adults dragged over various forms of freshkill. She moved to pluck the desired hare from the compilement, but Sun put a paw on her foreleg in warning.

The whole Tribe was situated in a wide circle around the prey pile, and the only cats without their heads bowed were her companions. She put her head down, and soon the other Clan cats did the same.

"Great Tribal Ancestors," Sun yowled. "Hear us. We respect you: we remember you: we trust you. Send us good fortune and good hunting, and give us healing when we are sick. May the births be sweet and the deaths be painless."

Bramblefoot jumped when she heard the many Tribe voices murmur, "Ancestors bless this Caught-Prey." She'd never heard so many cats speak at once; it made her nervous.

There was a moment of silence before Sun went on. "Ancestors protect those that visit us today and leave us tomorrow. Strangers from the Valley request asylum among us; bring them luck on their journey. Join with their Ancestors and lead them on a safe journey."

Bramblefoot flicked her ear as everyone murmured agreement. Then Sun walked forward, picked up the hare, and motioned for her to follow him.

He lead her up onto a ledge overlooking the cavern and leading into a wide, pitch-black chamber. She peered into it, but Sun beckoned her with a muffled meow. She was settled beside him in a small nest, and purred deeply as he placed the hare before them both, took a bite, then pushed it over to her. She caught on, took a bite, and passed it back.

Once the hare was finished, she got to talking with Sun. "So, we sorta need directions toward a good area to settle ourselves." She meowed, flicking her tabbied tail.

"I'm sorry we can't help you," Sun meowed with true regret in his voice. "But we could send one of our Prey Hunters to help you." The black tom's eyes traced her ribs, and she shifted around in discomfort.

She sat up and looked at him, flicking her ear as his tail wrapped around her flank. "Can you afford to let one of them go?" She asked.

"Of course. From what you told me, you need one more than we do." He chuckled. "Plus, it could act as a mixing of cultures; a little bit of Clan influence, a little bit of Tribe influence. It's be great."

Bramblefoot admired Sun's ability to think ahead. As a Medicine Cat she had to do so as well, but he was good at it. "Thank you, Sun," She meowed softly. "That's very kind of you." Kinder than the Clans would be to each other. Especially now...

She curled up tightly in his nest, sighing as he did the same, and felt his warmth seep comfortably into her fur. For a moment she felt like she was back home, in ThunderClan, a place she never thought she'd leave.