Chapter 4

Bramblefoot watched her apprentice work with their herbs. Silverleaf, who had only just recieved her Medicine Cat name, was a skilled worker. She was three season-turns old, while Bramblefoot was five. She was already at the midpoint of her life, and twitched her tail. She was thinking, over and over again, about StarClan's message and Ternpaw's death. Was that a sign? A sign... that a Medicine Cat should go?

Silverleaf was a good Medicine Cat. ThunderClan could afford to be without Bramblefoot, right?

She turned slightly and watched as one of their apprentices, Thistlepaw, gazing longingly at her. Her small blue body seemed petite and friendly, and she twitched her whitetipped tail in embarrassment when she noticed Bramblefoot looking back at her.

"Thistlepaw, come here for a moment." Bramblefoot meowed. The small apprentice stood and walked over, ears pressed forward. Despite her kitten fat, she was skinny, just like the rest of them. "How would you like to leave with me?"

Thistlepaw's jaw dropped open. "Leave with you? You mean, like... To find the new Territories?"

"Yes." Bramblefoot nodded, purring softly. "If Batstar allows."

"But... What about your Medicine Cat duties?" Thistlepaw asked in astonishment.

"Silverleaf can deal with that." She meowed lovingly to the small blue apprentice. "The new Clans will need medicine cats." She purred, twitching her tail.

"Oh..." Thistlepaw jolted. "You mean me! You want to train me?"

"Of course. You show the most interest in the subject. Silverleaf will take the fulltime job of Medicine Cat." She meowed. "While we teach the New Clans together."

Thistlepaw grinned, shuffling her little white paws eagerly. "Let's go ask Batstar right now!"

Bramblefoot nodded slightly and turned, resting her tail on Thistlepaw's shoulders. Her heart told her Thistlepaw would make a good medicine cat, and Silverleaf would make a good ThunderClan healer in her place.

They clambered up to the age-old Highledge, purring as she smelled the scents of many Leaders. Some were recent, like Batstar's predecessor, while others were positively ancient.

"Batstar?" Bramblefoot mewed, twitching her tail. Batstar made no reply, and the Medicine Cat grew concerned. She pushed her head through the lichen and started bristling like a hedgehog.

Batstar was hunched over, coughing violently. He smelled like cold water- ice- and catscent she'd never scented before. Batstar had lost one of his lives!

"Batstar!" She cried, trotting over. "Why didn't you call us over? Ask for help?"

"Because I didn't want you to fret while there were more important cats to be saved." Batstar coughed, dark brown fur ruffled and green eyes dull.

"More important cats? You're our leader, Batstar!" Thistlepaw cried, eyes wide with panic. They had only recently turned sunny yellow in color, and were quite striking against her blue coat.

"I know." He chuckled and sat up as straight as possible, smiling, his belly thinned. "Now, what is it you-" he coughed hard- "needed from me?"

"Well," Bramblefoot stammered, starting to have second thoughts, "I was thinking of volunteering to go with the other cats to found the New Clans."

Batstar's smile fell. "But you're our medicine cat."

"I know. Silverleaf will make a fantastic Medicine Cat in my place, and I wish to take Thistlepaw with me. The New Clans will need herbal knowledge for the best possible start."

Batstar looked at the small blue apprentice. Thistlepaw was no good at battle, and she was mediocre at hunting. She was clearly not destined to be the best Warrior the Clans had ever known: perhaps this was StarClan's plans for them both?

"Alright." He consented. "I will take both of you to the Gathering Island on the Full Moon." He sighed. "I will miss you, Bramblefoot, Thistlepaw. I hope you don't regret your choice."

"We won't!" Thistlepaw squeaked happily, tail raised high, white tip glaring in the darkness of the den. She turned and trotted back out, eyes shining.

"I hope we won't," Bramblefoot gave Batstar a last long look before turning and following her soon-to-be apprentice.