Chapter 16

"Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life."
- Leo Buscaglia
~~~~~~~~~~~

"Okay..." Adele takes a bite of her biscuit then pouts thoughtfully. "Have you ever tasted chocolate?"

We're laid on her bed. The sunlight coming through the window illuminates her pale skin and I smile as I watch her.

This is our new way of communicating, it was Adele's idea. If I make a white orb it means yes, green means no.

I make green orb and she smiles.

"You've never tasted chocolate?! Its amazing." She giggles then bites into the sweet again, thinking about her next question.

She loves this. As soon as she gets home from work every night she lays on the bed and talks to me.

I'm in bliss.

She's happy and I'm the reason for it, I never imagined that I could make her feel like this.

It's the highlight of my day, of my existence. At the back of my mind there is the worry of Harry and all the stuff about it starting... But it's been weeks now and I've fallen into this routine with Adele every day. Harry isn't stopping me so I guess it's ok.

"Hmmm..." She thinks carefully as I watch. I love the way she pouts her lips as she thinks. "Have you worn the same outfit for 300 years?" She asks suddenly.

I laugh at the random question then make a white orb.

"That's gross!" She giggles.

It's not like I can sweat Adele

She's in a playful mood. She's always so happy these days, she practically glows and she talks to me constantly. I don't think anyone has ever known so much about me.

Suddenly she rolls over to where I'm laid. Her glossy hair falls across her face and she brushes it away impatiently.

"Show me Niall again."

She points to the mirror and I project my memory of Nialls face there. He's giving me a huge grin after we'd pulled some prank. His hair is ruffling in the wind and I can almost hear that manic laugh he does.

The image wavers slightly then fades away. I don't want to look at it.

He's trapped somewhere in this house too, but it's worse for him. He's spent three centuries searching for me and I'm right here.

"Louis?" Adele's soft voice stirs me from my thoughts. "Are you ok?"

White.

She looks at the little orb.

"Do you miss Niall?"

I hesitate before creating another little white light.

I have to be careful. Sometimes she tries to ask questions about ghosts and death and I daren't answer in case Harry intervenes again.

"Did you ever have a girlfriend?" Adele asks suddenly.

I create a little white light.

"Oh." Her slim fingers pick at a loose thread on the duvet. "Was she your girlfriend when you, you know, passed on?"

I laugh at the way she never just refers to me as dead.

Green light.

"Were you together long?" She asks causally.

Green.

Only a few months. It wasn't like now Adele... I couldn't even take her anywhere without her brother coming along with us