Chapter 1

"Now I know what a ghost is. Unfinished business, that's what."
- Salman Rushdie
~~~~~~~

My life was boring. Unremarkable at best.

It always felt like I was waiting for something to happen, something big that would change everything, get me away from the little farm that we lived on.

Obviously, dying at the age of 20 from consumption wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

I remember watching Niall and wishing I was more like him. He was just happy to settle down with one of the boring local girls and raise his family, but that was never right for me.

Bloody hell, I'd kill for one of those boring local girls to talk to now. It's been fifteen years since anyone lived here. Fifteen years I've been completely alone.

Not that it makes much difference if anyone is actually here, only animals and very small children can see me, but I just like to watch them, talk to them as if they can hear me.

The last woman who lived here had a little boy, Matthew. I spent hours playing with him, telling him stories about 17th century England. She got spooked though. They always do, even when I try and hide my presence, they can just sense when something isn't right.

I remember little Matthew, screaming and reaching out to me as she dragged him out of the door for the last time. I hope he's happy, wherever he is, enjoying the passing of his years.

I keep asking why I haven't moved on yet but they won't answer.

Every now and then He pops up and I try and chat to him, have a laugh, but he just gives me that annoyingly sweet smile then buggers off again.

Bloody Harry. He's a pain in the arse.

~~~~~~~

I'm playing with a little ball of dust, making it float. If I concentrate hard then I can make it glow like a sparkling blue flame. I send it shooting down the hallway and then spinning up towards the ceiling.

I'm just gathering another little dust ball together when I hear the sound that I've been waiting fifteen long years for.

I stop for a second in disbelief.

As the front door opens I close my eyes tightly and materialise next to it.

"So, as you can see, we open straight into the living room, it does need a bit of a clean up but it's just superficial. The flat itself is fine."

He's tall with dark hair and seems to be covered in strange drawings. I wonder how he's done it and what it means.

I don't care though, in that moment I could kiss him. I eagerly drink in the sight of his strange clothing and hair and I get even more excited when I realise another one is following him.

He turns slightly and I watch as a girl enters the room behind him, looking round nervously.

I let out a low whistle.

I haven't had a visitor like this since 1902.

She has long dark hair and big blue eyes, her skin is like porcelain.

I grin and lean causally against the wall, winking at her.

Hello beautiful. I'm Louis. Call me Lou.

She frowns.

"What was that?" She looks round, confused.

I freeze... surely she can't hear me?

"What?" The man turns towards her frowning and I notice that he's irritatingly handsome.

"I... Nothing... I thought I heard something." She shakes her head, frowning slightly.

"Yeah, it'll be kids outside. There's a window smashed at the front, don't worry, we're going to fix that."

She smiles at him shyly and I quickly appear between them, pretending that her smile is for me.

I daren't talk now because I don't want to scare her away, I'm sure that she didn't actually hear me but I don't want to risk it.

"You take a look around Adele, see what you think." He encourages her.

I follow her through every room. If I'd have known I was going to have guests I'd have tidied round, got rid of the cobwebs and dust.

As it is, all I can do is use my powers to give each room a warm feeling and the sunlight coming through the grimy windows an extra sparkle but I'm worried because it really does look shabby.

She seems to like it though.

I follow her to the kitchen where the man with the funny drawings on his skin is waiting.

"What do you think?" He smiles at her and I wish my powers could make his face seem a little less attractive.

"It's perfect Zayn! I can just see myself living here."

Me too.

"Great!" He beams at her. "So it's £400 a month, unfurnished, obviously. You can move in whenever you like."

I'm beside myself. I can't remember the last time I felt this excited and her next words just complete my happiness,

"I'm okay to bring my cat too aren't I?"

~~~~~~~

AN- I've had this story sat in my works for a few months now so I decided to just go ahead and publish it, but this is the chapter I struggled the most with so I'd love to know what you think?

It's going to be quite a short story but I hope you'll enjoy it :D