Chapter Thirty Nine

Chapter Thirty Nine- "No, this is going to be legen- wait for it - dary!"

After dinner the six of us sit nervously apart in the common room.

Nobody bothers us; none of the Gryffindors have anything to say to me any more, after all.

Hermione is skimming through all her notes, hoping to come across one of the enchantments we are about to try and break.

Harry and Ron sit in silence.

May, El and I are reading in the corner.

I'm not really nervous, if I die, I die.

Slowly, the room empties as people drift off to bed.

"Better get the Cloak," Ron mutters, as the last person leaves.

Harry runs up to his dormitory and appears a moment later, the Cloak in his hands.

"We'd better put the Cloak on here," I say, getting to my feet. "And make sure it covers us four - if Filch spots one of our feet wandering along on its own -"

"What are you doing?" says a voice from the corner of the room.

Neville appears from behind an armchair, clutching Trevor, who looks as though he's been making another bid for freedom.

"Nothing, Neville, nothing," I say quickly.

"You're going out again," Neville says.

"No, no, no," says Elinor. "No, we're not. Why don't you go to bed, Neville?"

I look at the grandfather clock by the door. We can't afford to waste anymore time. Snape might even now be playing Fluffy to sleep.

"You can't go out," says Neville, "you'll be caught again. Gryffindor will be in even more trouble."

"You don't understand," says Maya, "this is important."

But Neville is clearly steeling himself to do something desperate.

"I won't let you do it," he says, hurrying to stand in front of the portrait hole. "I'll - I'll fight you!"

"Neville," Ron explodes, "get away from that hole and don't be an idiot -"

"Don't you call me an idiot!" says Neville. "I don't think you should be breaking any more rules! And you were the one who told me to stand up to people!"

"Yes, but not to us," says Ron in exasperation. "Neville, you don't know what you're doing."

He takes a step forward and Neville drops Trevor, who leaps out of sight.

"Go on then, try and hit me!" says Neville, raising his fists. "I'm ready!"

Harry turns to Hermione and I.

"Do something!" he says desperately.

Hermione steps forward.

"Neville," she says, "I'm really, really sorry about this."

"Petrificus Totalus!" she cries, pointing her wand at Neville.

Neville's arms snap to his sides. His legs spring together. His whole body rigid, he sways where he stands and then fall flat on his face, stiff as a board.