chapter six

please note I have not edited all chapters yet

Breakfast was spread across the kitchen counter, different plates holding different food.

"Bacon and eggs for Joyce, waffles and eggs for Melanie, Pancakes and waffles for Lilly, and Bacon and eggs between two waffles for Danny," I mumbled to myself as I arranged the plates on the kitchen table.

Right on cue, at 7:00 AM, mostly everyone hustled downstairs to eat. Despite a rough night, I tried to keep my mind off it and yesterday's events which I washed away. I remembered those eyes looking up at me last night, and the way Levi said they needed me. One thing is for certain here; family comes first.

After everyone was eating, I ventured into Missy's room, finding her asleep under many blankets. On the bed side table, a glass of water sat with her pill bottle spilled out onto the floor.

"Missy?"

I spoke calmly, nudging her arm as she slept. I heard a few low grumbles before she sat up.

"What happened to you?" I exclaimed once she rose from the blankets. I backed away from the bed.

Missy's face was puffy and pale, tuffs of hair sticking up in every direction. Her eyes were almost invisible, squinted and glossy. She immediately started crying.

"I don't want to..." Missy croaked out each word, "do this anymore, Hale."

She wiped her tears with her sleeve.

"You just need alcohol," I bluntly responded.

The truth hurt. Sometimes, when Missy tries to refrain from alcohol, she falls into a depression and won't leave her bed for days. Nobody can help her and it's quite pathetic.

"I love alcohol," Missy whispered, grabbing my hand. She turned her wrist so it faced me, exposing dark purple glistening veins, "It's in my blood."

I looked around the darkened room, retracting my hand from her grip. Her creepy words were enough to make me uncomfortable.

"Sleep," I ordered, and left the room.

I gave a nod to Levi downstairs, which means something is usually wrong with Missy.

Usually, he will take a day off of school to dedicate time to making her feel better. Or, at least try to. It never worked out that well.

"We need food, Hale," Lilly innocently set her plate into the sink.

She was right, we needed food and money.

"Okay, Lil. I'll get on that today," I responded to her question. I definitely pulled that answer out of my ass.

Levi glanced my way, a concerned expression on his face. He pulled something green from his pocket, holding it out my way.

"Five bucks, for groceries. Milk and bread maybe."

I grabbed the bill, sticking it into my pocket.

"After school today, I'm going to hang out at this study group. My friend Gina asked me to go with her," Levi tried to break the awkward silence that emerged over the topic of groceries and money.

I looked at the clock, almost everyone in the room staring my way, looking at me like i'm their mom and Missy is a stranger.

"Okay, well, have a nice day at school everyone," I said awkwardly yet confidently.

Levi half smiled, leading the kids outside.

I collapsed into a kitchen chair, head in hands. My palms hit my bruises, causing a wave of pain to rush through my face.