Petals

I sat down on my bed tiredly and checked my phone for any messages or missed calls. None.

"Hey, don't you have work tonight?" Jade said opening the door wide open with a bag of M&Ns in her hand.

"Yeah, in another hour." I sighed laying down. She walked towards me and laid next to me popping M&Ns in her mouth. I reached to get one or two but she pulled away.

"What are you doing?" she frowned.

"I want some." I whined reaching for it again and she poured some into my hand even though she didn't wanna share. That's just how Jade was. She would share anything with you but when it comes to food, it's a whole different story. I threw all the M&Ns in my mouth and crunched.

"Dad called." she said popping another M&N in her mouth. This caught my attention. I turned to look at her.

"What'd he say?" I asked sitting up.

"That he wants to see us." she responded sitting up next to me.

"Bullshit." I chuckled.

"Maybe we should go visit." she said giving me a look of guilt. "I haven't told him yet." she added looking down at her still flat stomach.

"Are you serious? I don't even think he remembers my name. Plus, he doesn't need to know. He's not a father, therefore he won't be a grandfather to my nephew or niece." I said getting up from the bed and walking into the closet to find something to wear.

"Mel, come on." she said following me.

"Are you out of your mind? He forgot about us just like he forgot about mom And now, suddenly he 'wants to see us'" I said quoting with my fingers. "No way, you can go but .I'm not going, Jade." I said pulling out a blue button shirt and a black skirt.

"I want him to meet Sean." she blurted as I took the pullover sweater I was wearing off and putting the shirt on.

"Shit, good luck with that." I chuckled buttoning the shirt up.

"That's my shirt." she frowned pointing at the shirt.

"It's not gonna fit anymore with that baby coming." I teased touching her flat stomach and she just rolled her eyes.

"Will you at least think about it?" she asked as I slipped on the miniskirt and zipped up the side zipper.

"There's nothing to think about. I'm not going." I said clearly so she could understand. I put on my red an white converses loosing balance and tripping a little.

"We haven't seen him in three years! You don't have anything at all you wanna talk to him about." she said following my every move.

"Matter fact, I'll be happy to come along. You're right, I have a lot I wanna say to him." I smiled sarcastically putting my name tag and grabbing my black cardigan and heading towards the door.

"This weekend?" she asked with her arms crossed looking straight at me.

"Why not?" I said at the doorway.

"Can you pick up some Pop Tarts when you're coming back?" she said walking down the stairs behind me.

"You should probably slow down on the junk food." I frowned grabbing my bag.

"Shut up." she shot back. "And get some Ice cream , we're out." she smiled.

"I wonder who finished it." I said sarcastically walking out the door. I walked to the bus stop and waited for the bus.

* * *

"Thank you." the man I had just handed the beer said smiling at me and I nodded.

I heard my phone ringing from behind me on the table. I turned away from the bar and picked up the call from Jade.