Chapter 10: How Much He Cares

AUTHOR'S NOTE: :3 How do you guys think the story will proceed with what happened in Chapter 9? ^_^ Well I can tell you this...This is perhaps the second to the last chapter of Realization. xD Oh, and since Cryptic_Eyes has already noticed the hidden fact let me tell you: HAPPY WAS NEVER SHOWN IN THE STORY BECAUSE NATSU FORGOT TO TAKE HIM ON THE JOB, BUT NATSU NEVER FORGOT ABOUT LUCY. xD So I dedicate this chapter to KnightWalker16. =)))) ~Sherry <3

--------------------------------------------------------------

~NORMAL POV~

That day, Fairy Tail had never been quieter. Which is a very peculiar thing, since usually you can find abnormally loud people running around there like crazy people. But now? No. Everyone just sat in their own places and looked down on the ground silently. There hadn't been a smile from even one of them since they discovered what happened. The fact that they had lost Lucy had drained all their energy. She was still up in the infirmary. No one agreed that they would bury her, not yet. They needed to accept it first. Their beloved Lucy, she was gone.

As for Natsu...Well, he sat at the far end of the bar, on the stool nearest to the stairs that went up to the infirmary. His hands were trembling and his eyes were no longer filled with ecstasy, unlike when Lucy was still around. Mira was upstairs, cleaning Lucy's corpse. Happy approached his partner. (YES, FINALLY, HAPPY IS IN THE STORY! x3 ) He sniffed. "Natsu...Are you okay?"

No reply.

Happy lightly grabbed Natsu's arm, which was leaning on the counter. "Natsu..."

"Happy...How can I be alright? Lucy is gone because of me."

"Natsu, it's not your fault."

"If I hadn't chosen that job I wouldn't have lost her. I wouldn't have lost the girl I..." Natsu paused again. He just couldn't say the words. Not yet. He wanted to say it to Lucy first. But now that she's gone Natsu believes that he had no reason to live anymore, he had no hope of surviving without his beloved Lucy.

But Happy knew exactly how Natsu felt towards Lucy. "Natsu..."

"Happy, when you get to her funeral..." Happy's eyes widened a bit as Natsu pulled out a single light pink rose from his pocket and gave it to the blue Exceed. "...Promise me that you'll give her this."

Happy noticed that there was a little note attached to the stem. It had the scent of a lavender, Lucy's favorite flower. The writing said,

To Lucy
Thank you for being my best friend
With lots of love,

Natsu

Happy said, "Y-You mean you're not coming with us to Lucy's funeral?"

"No, Happy. You think I'd be able to bear seeing Lucy's body in a coffin?"

"...Natsu, this is hard for everyone else too. We all loved Lucy."

Natsu sighed and lovingly stroked Happy's fur. "I'm sorry, Happy. I just can't go."

Happy sadly hung his head, the rose still in his hand.

Natsu held his chin, forcing him to meet his gaze. "Remember your promise, ne?"

A tear fell from Happy's eye and he sniffed.

"Hey. Don't cry, Happy."

Happy slowly began to nod. "O-Okay, N-Natsu...I promise I'll g-give this to L-Lucy."

Normally Natsu would have been smiling, but Natsu just couldn't bring himself to do so. He's not sure if he would ever be able to smile or laugh, ever. Happy gave one last glance at Natsu before he flew away to Lisanna. She said, "How is he holding up?"

"Not good...I'm not sure he'll ever be okay with Lucy gone."

"Aw...Poor Natsu...He really loves Lucy...doesn't he?...He'll do just about everything for her."

"Yeah, what Natsu would do just to bring back Lucy, right?"

"I think you mean...what wouldn't he do just to bring back Lucy." There was a long pause and Lisanna bit her lip as she tried to think of something that would cheer Natsu up. She snapped her fingers. "Maybe...Maybe some food will cheer him up." Lisanna got up from her seat and started making her way behind the counter, leaving a puzzled Happy behind. Natsu eventually noticed Lisanna tinkering with the utensils and became curious as well. Despite this, he remained silent.

Minutes later, a plate of sizzling, freshly-cooked steak came into Natsu's view. There was a spoon and fork on either side of it. Natsu looked at Lisanna, who was smiling brightly at him. The first smile he's seen in hours. "Medium rare...Just the way you like it."

"What's this for, Lisanna?"

"Well, I...I wanted to cheer you up."

"...Thanks, Lisanna, but...I don't think anything can cheer me up."

Lisanna's smile slowly disappeared. "Worth a shot. And besides...we wouldn't want a crispy, delicious steak like this..." She gestured to the meal. "...to go to waste, don't we?"

At last...Natsu smiled. It was a small smile, but heck, it was still a smile. He chuckled lowly, then reached for the spoon and fork. "Thank you..." He took a bite. "Mm...This is delicious, I never knew you cooked so well, Lisanna."

"Well, I...I might have picked up a few things from Mira-nee back in Edolas."

"Speaking of Mira, I'm waiting for her."

"Why?"

"Well, I just...I guess I'm hoping for a miracle that Lucy will just, suddenly...wake up."

Lisanna laughed. "From her grave?"

"Well technically she doesn't have a grave yet, but...something like that...I just want to be with her again...'

Natsu continued eating the steak. He wasn't gobbling it all up like he used to, he just ate like a normal person. He didn't eat with his hands, he used the utensils. Lisanna just leaned on the other side of the bar, watching Natsu intently. Finally she blurted out, "You love her, don't you?"

Natsu froze at her sudden question. "...W-What?"

"Lucy. You love her."

He remained silent for a few seconds until he heard footsteps coming down the stairs. He stood up and looked at the stairway. "Mira, I--" He froze once again. Mira came down the steps, and behind her followed...

"L...Lucy?"

------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE: YES, SHE'S NOT DEAD! xD Do you guys think I'll let one of the protagonists of my book die? Not in this life! But the real question is...How? *sly smile* Time to guess! :D Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANIEL PADILLA!!! =)))) BTW, try going to my profile and zooming out 75%. ^_^ I just figured WattPad out! Thank you, Internet! Anyhoo, please tell me what you guys think of the tenth chappy. Read and review, thanks! ;) ~Sherry <3