part three

Brendon was sitting on the front stoop when Jon arrived to take him to work on Monday. Jon waved at him and then, when Brendon didn't move, rolled down the passenger side window.

"Brendon? Buddy? It's time to go."

Brendon jerked and blinked at Jon, as though he'd only just seen him. He grabbed his bag and walked over to the car.

"Hey," he said as he climbed in and Jon pulled away. "Sorry. I'm a little out of it."

Jon nodded slowly, waiting for Brendon to continue, but nothing was forthcoming. Brendon leaned his head against the window and sighed heavily. Jon began to get worried.

"What the hell happened? You look awful."

"Thanks." Brendon didn't look up.

Jon hit his arm. "Brendon!"

Finally, Brendon rolled his head until he could see Jon. He looked miserable.

"Ryan kissed me."

Jon was sure this wasn't a bad thing, considering the way Brendon had been half in love with Ryan as long as Jon had known him, so he stayed quiet and waited.

"And we went to his place on Saturday night. We just fell asleep, we didn't..." Brendon trailed off and sighed again. "Then yesterday morning, things were great until I said we'd be seeing more of each other once I was working with him. That was when he threw me out."

"He what?" Jon exclaimed, genuinely surprised. He'd been so sure Ryan had felt the same way about Brendon. It didn't make sense.

"He threw me out. He told me to leave. He said..." Brendon paused and took a deep breath. "He said he didn't want me and we couldn't be together."

Jon wondered how severe his warning would be if he punched Ryan Ross right in the middle of his pretty face.

"And to make it all just that much worse," Brendon continued, reaching down into his back-pack and pulling out an envelope, "is that when I got home yesterday, this was waiting for me." He pulled a crisp sheet of white paper with Disney letterhead from the envelope and began to read.

"Thank you for your continued interest in becoming part of the 'Disney Musical Fantasy Parade'. I can confirm that you have been accepted for an audition, to be held on Thursday..."

He stopped reading and stared at the letter sadly as he held it on his knees.

"This Thursday. It's my day off."

Jon parked in the cast parking lot and turned to Brendon quickly, pulling him close for a hug.

Brendon leaned heavily against him. "I don't know if I can do it. I can't see him every day. I don't even know what I did wrong."

"You didn't do anything wrong," Jon assured him, certain that was true. "Maybe you should try talking to him."

Brendon shook his head. "I don't want to see him." His fist clenched around the letter, scrunching it into a ball. "I don't want to do this either."

"Brendon..."

"No, Jon. I'm done with it." Brendon pushed Jon away and hurriedly freed himself from the seatbelt. "I'm happy where I am." He opened the car door and scrambled out. "I don't need the stupid parade or stupid Ryan Ross to make me happy."

Jon watched Brendon as he ran across the parking lot, the sound of the car door slamming still ringing in his ears.

~

Spencer had been working hard. In fact, if asked, Spencer would say he'd been working his ass off at this whole "customer service" thing. He was polite. He was helpful. He hadn't shouted or rolled his eyes at anyone in a week.