One

"Kathy, are you leaving now?" Diana, my best friend and also Mattie's godmother, asked me from the kitchen we share.

When I was in labor with my son, she was my nurse and helped me go through all those tiring hours.

"Yeah. I'm taking Mattie with me." I tell her.

After my little man was born, we became friends and she offered me a place to live with her. I was glad I had her because living in a crappy apartment is a bad living environment for a child.

So now we both live in her three bedroom house. I help pay for the bills. We take turns every month. I am just glad Mattie has a good home to live in.

And Diana is very good with kids. She had six other siblings and being the oldest, she baby sat a lot. And then she babysat her nieces and nephews after that.

Well...three nephews and two nieces. Alex, Diana's 25 year old brother married and had three children; two boys and a girl.

Then Tanya, third oldest (23 year old) had twins. A girl and boy. I see them every week when they come over. Lisa and Tommy. They live ten minutes away from us.

And Alex, his wife, and three kids live three hours away from us. They come over two times a month.

And the rest of Diana's crew live in Seattle while we live in New York. I've only seen them once over these four years. They are a hand full. The youngest is wild and untamed...yet.

Serena was a lovely 16 year old. She is a tom boy. Plays soccer, football, basket ball, and motorcycle riding. I was just like her when I was her age. Except I hated football, but loved everything else.

"Don't get lost getting there. And remember that Mrs Michelle will be taking care of Mattie boy while your at the interview." Diana called.

"Got it, Di. Anything else I gotta know before I run off?" I wink. She shook her head.

"Just tell Mrs Michelle I said hi." She chuckled.

Mrs Michelle was Mattie's babysitter when he was two. Then she quit and went to work for Some Ceo at the building I'm heading to. I think she was a receptionist there.

She is is only 40 but is bossy and sometimes annoying. She said Mattie drove her crazy. I bet that's why she quit. When I called her and asked her to take care of Mattie for a bit while I'm at the interview to be a personal assistant for the owner of the company, she almost blew up!

I wonder how a two year old can drive an 'innocent' lady that insane? But my Mattie is quite smart for his age.

"Ok, I'll make sure. Well I'm leaving so wish me luck." I chuckle and walk into Mattie's room.

"Honey, mama is going to work and your coming with me." I tell him. He stops playing with his dinosaurs and smiles.

"Yay, I'm going with you!" He jumps up and comes to take my hand.

"Okay honey. Let's go." I laugh and we both walk out and towards my little car.

It took me two and a half years of saving up money to buy it.

I put my boy in the car and buckled him up. Then I sat down in my spot by the wheel and typed in the address of the company in the gps.

"Turn left and then go straight 2.1 miles." The thing said.

I shrugged and followed the directions all the to a huge building. It took me about twenty minted to get here. Not bad.

"We're here. Unbuckle and take my hand." I instructed my son. He nodded and climes put his booster seat.

I took his hand and slowly entered the big glass doors with a slight hesitation. I was greeted by warmth and the smell of richness.

I looked around and spotted Mrs Michelle walking towards me. Mattie have a small way, earning a fake smile from her.

"Good afternoon, Mrs Locket, Mathew." She nodded at us and shook my hand briefly.

"Same to you." I agreed.

"You will be late if I don't take your son now. The boss doesn't like lateness so take the lift to the top floor, then take a right and then left until you reach the bosses office. It will say 'boss' on it." She told me.

"Mattie, hun. Go with nanny. I will be back soon. I promise." I smiled at Mattie.

He huffed and took Michelle's outstretched hand.

"Well go on." She ushered to me and I quickly ran towards the lift.

I looked at the numbers and realized here are 60 floors. Wow, that was a lot. I pressed the top floor and with a ding, the does reopened and I stepped out, going right and then left.

Soon I saw the bosses door and knocked twice. I had a slight weird feeling for some reason but ignored it and waited.

"Come in." A slight familiar deep voice said and I took a deep breath before entering the dim room.

I looked up to see a man sitting in an office chair, facing the wall. He spun around and I sucked in my breath.

Shit! Oh god no! It's him!