Chapter 2: My Flashback

In all the things I have experienced in my fourteen years of living, I can’t believe this was my flashback. The day my father died.

The flashback went like this, me and my family traveled to New York because dad has some business to take care of. Of course I wouldn’t really care what’s his reason for going to New York, I’m going with him. He left us in the bookstore to look at books. I’m a bookworm, I admit. I bought the boxed set of the series my friends back home was talking about because they said that it was hilarious and fun to read. I kissed my mom’s cheek (yes, I’m 14 and I’m not ashamed to show the whole world that I love my parents, now beat that! [does this dance filled with a lot of thrusting] ), I was suppose to hug my dad later because he’s the one who gave the money. My sister, Jessica (she’s 11 right now, not in this flashback), asked if she can borrow the books that I bought. Of course, I allowed her. Mom dug deep in her pockets and showed three tickets to The Phantom of the Opera, a broadway show (to complete the full New York experience). I was excited because it was my first broadway show.

We went to the theater and bought popcorn and drinks, showed our tickets, and got in. We took our seats and-

The flashback fast-forwarded. We were at the middle of the show. Dad’s sitting beside me now.

He puts his arm on my shoulder, which is what people in a relationship do in the movies that’s why I felt weird. I saw my dad’s hand when I turned to my right and saw a gold ring with some type of jewel on the center. Then I realized that it was a container of some sort of liquid. It was green and fizzy. Then I saw my dad looking worried while searching for something or someone in the audience. I started to get worried for my dad. What or who is he looking for? The flashback fast-forwarded again.

He gasped and quickly told the three of us to leave the theater. We all ran for the exit and got out.

“Nice to see you again, Mr. Somerson,” a man wearing all black clothes from behind said.

The dude was holding on to a walking stick, his hair wasn’t messed up even though it was a windy day, and his right hand was in his pocket.

“Give me what I came here for and I promise that no one will get hurt,” he said.

Everyone stared at each other for a minute then dad started to do a karate, taekwondo, wushu (and other martial arts) moves. The man in black defended himself by pointing a gun to me (What the hell did I even do?!). We all paused for a while, maybe a couple of seconds, and dad took me. We all ran. 

We got chased by him and his (let’s call them…) “gangsta friends” through a lot of streets, shoving a lot of innocent people.

I heard a gun being shot to the air and while we were all running, another bang, someone fell behind me. I looked back and saw my dad. He’s dead. His face was on the floor with a hole on his blood-stained polo.

The “gangsta friends” arrived and threatened to us with a gun. Gosh, we’re weak! The leader kneeled down (duh! No one can kneel up.) grabbed his hand and took the ring I was looking at back at the theater. 

He stood back up and made a gesture to his “gangsta friends”. They left. We all bowed down and started to cry. It started raining, and a raindrop landed on my dad’s cheeks.

The flashback ended. I was back at the Discovery Center.