Chapter Sixteen

Once again, I am extremely sorry for taking FOREVER to update. I just lost my passion for writing for a while, got distracted and all of that. I'm sincerely sorry. This chapter isn't wonderful, but I hope you like it nonetheless. <3 Hayley

___________________________________

SIXTEEN

It was midday when I woke up, and the sun was shining through the blinds on my window. Joan was still curled up next to me on the bed, her hair as messy as a bird's nest. I decided not to wake her, moving swiftly off the bed and out to the door.

The door creaked as I opened it and I checked to see if Joan was still asleep. She was. Phew.

I walked down the hallway of my home and made my way sleepily into the kitchen.

"Oh, you're finally up," My mother greeted me, "I know it's the weekend, but let's not try to sleep the whole day away, okay?"

I clenched my hands into fists and rubbed my eyes wearily. "I don't see the problem." I shrugged.

She frowned and rolled her eyes. Typical mother thing. "Life is short and too wonderful to spend it sleeping." She replied. "Don't you think?"

I nodded, too tired to argue. I opened the wooden cupboard doors and searched for food. I'd decided to make breakfast, or lunch since it was midday, for Joan since she'd been such a great friend to me lately.

"Do we have any of that awesome chocolate cereal?" I asked just as my mother was about to leave the room.

She sighed. "Adara, that's not very healthy, you know," she grumbled, "why not have oatmeal? We have plenty of that."

I crossed my arms and hung my head back. "It's for Joan though." I didn't tell her I was planning to have some as well.

"Third cabinet from the sink." She sighed, before turning on her heal and leaving the room. Mum had always been a health fanatic. Sometimes it was crazily annoying. I followed her instructions and proceeded to make Joan - and myself - some breakfast. Cereal didn't take long to make, thankfully, so I was back in my room in no time.

I slumped down onto my ever-so-comfortable bed and placed the two bowls of chocolate cereal on my nightstand. I gave Joan's leg a small rub. "Wake up, Joanie." I called. "I made you breakfast." Sleepily opening her eyes, Joan gave a small smile.

"You're the best."

"I try." I replied.

We ate our breakfast together in a short amount of time, determined to do something with the small amount of time we had left of the day. "Do you want to go to the mall?" She asked. "We could go shopping. Or even just hang out. We can talk Clayton with us."

I laughed. "You're so into him." I teased. "But yeah, sounds good. Whatever you want."

Joan was getting dressed when she mentioned Danyl. "If Clay decides to come along, we can invite that boyfriend of yours, too. That would be fun; Clay seems to really like him."

My stomach lurched. Danyl. What on Earth had happened? Everything had been so confusing lately. I was much too young to be getting married, and I knew that, but you'd have thought everything could just go to plan, right? Apparently not though. Danyl and his weird fantasy world had gotten me so stressed that when I finally returned to my form of normalcy, namely Joan, I almost completely forgot about him.

I hesitated. "Uh, yeah...Sure. I'll um, I'll call him."

Leaving the room, I quickly dialed Danyl's number. He and I really needed to talk.

Ring, ring, ring.

No answer. Dammit.

I sighed and stomped into the bathroom across the hall. Splashing water onto my face, I assured myself it would all be okay. Danyl said he'd call when everything was fine, right? Yes, he did say that. So he was going to call. I'm sure of it.

I must have taken longer in the bathroom than I thought, because Joan was soon knocking harshly on the door. "Are you alright in there, Adara?"

I cleared my throat. "Yeah, absolutely. I just, uh," I stammered, "I feel a little sick. I'm okay though."

"Oh," she said, so much disappointment in her voice, "we don't have to go out if you want."

I coughed and quickly opened the door to my best friend. "Oh, don't be so ridiculous, J. I want nothing more than to hang out with you."

She smiled and enveloped me tightly. "Great!" She squealed, her pale skin glowing. "Is Danyl coming?"

I shook my head. "Nope." I said coolly.

"Great, because Clayton is busy with Timmy Jones for some reason. Guess it's just us!" She exclaimed happily. I smiled back at her, trying to match her enthusiasm level. When really, I wasn't enthusiastic much at all.

Joan picked out my outfit for the day, and although it didn't match it, I made sure I wore my pendant. There was no way I was taking it off. I had to make sure I was ready to see Danyl at any point that he may have needed me.

We spent only half an hour at the mall before my phone rang. It was Danyl's number. "Excuse me." I said to Joan, walking away and answering.

"Hello?" I said eagerly.

"Adara, hi." The responding voice was female. A snarky sounding female.

I raised my eyebrows. "Who am I speaking to?" I asked.

There was a slight sigh on the other end. "It is Liana."

I rolled my eyes. What on Earth was Liana doing with Danyl's phone?! And why was she calling me?

"Listen closely," she said before I had the chance to reply to her, "clearly we were not destined to get along, but I need your help. You need to come to Elsetime right away. Danyl has been hurt."

Her tone seemed so formal, as if she wasn't very concerned about his well-being. "What do you mean?"

"Just hurry, Adara! We need you!" That was when the desperation showed in her voice.

"I'll be right there." I mumbled, ending the call.

Walking briskly back to my best friend, I hugged her tightly. "I am so sorry, but I really have to leave. Are you okay to get home?"

"What's wrong, D?" She cried.

"I can't explain right now, but I will. I really will. I promise. I just have to leave right now, I'm sorry!"

She looked curious and worried, but nodded in acceptance. She was the best. I really did have to leave.

Danyl was hurt and my kingdom needed me.