Chapter Eighteen

EIGHTEEN

Through the darkness, I could slightly see Elondra's delicate, thin face, surrounded by a full head of curly, blonde hair. She lifted her slim fingers and caressed the side of my face. I tried to pull my face away, but Elondra pulled me back.

"Uh, uh, uh! " she said, "You do not move away from me unless I say so." She continued, turning me around and binding my hands together with a coarse piece of rope.

I fidgeted and tried to pull my hands free. My attempts failed.

"Why are you doing this to me, Elondra?" I asked, my attempt at keeping a solid, calm voice failing.

She giggled and disappeared into the darkness again. "So many questions," she laughed, "so little time to answer."

My hands began to shake within the rope. The dark humour in her voice made me nervous. I started to sweat. Of all the people who could have made me feel like this, Elondra was the last person I'd have guessed to do so.

What was she apart of?

"Elondra, I thought we were friends!" I screeched.

I suddenly felt short of breath. A cold arm had wrapped around my shoulders from behind, and an icy palm was covering my mouth.

"Oh no, my dear," she laughed, "you and I? Friends? Of course not."

I tried to scream at her and tell her that I never did anything to her, but my voice was muffled and the only sounds that escaped my lips were pathetic moans.

I tried to wriggle away again, but she forcefully pulled me in closer to her. "Do not struggle, my dear, that will only make things worse."

With a forceful pull of my own, I managed to pull free from her grip. "I never did anything to you, Elondra!" I screamed, fumbling further away from her.

She giggled again. "That is what you think," she said, "but that is not what I think."

"What is that supposed to mean?!" I demanded furiously.

"Liana warned me you were a curious young thing." She said softly.

I knew it! I knew Liana had something to do with this. I never trusted that fiery red hair and ferocious look from the day I met her. I knew Liana was out to get me. I just knew it.

"Liana.." I mumbled.

Two soft hands rested on both of my shoulders. "I suppose I better explain," Elondra laughed, "since you'll never be leaving here anyway."

I winced in the darkness and tears began to well in my eyes. I was grateful that Elondra couldn't see my fear in the blackness of the room. I breathed in deeply and Elondra cleared her throat.

"Sweet Adara," she started, stepping around my body in a circle, forcing me to fall into a heap on the floor, "no one in Elsetme can explain what happened the day you and Danyl met, and nothing has angered me more."

I squirmed.

"As you are aware, Danyl was set to marry before the King's passing," she explained, "and as you may also be aware, Liana was the top preference for a wife and Queen."

Of course I already knew that. And I hated to think about it.

"Strangely enough, that sat quite well with me," she continued, "despite being preference number two."

I gasped. It was unbelievable. Elondra was interested in Danyl? And Danyl was interested enough in her that she had gained preference number two? My heart sank. I couldn't deal with this. I couldn't deal with the fact that Danyl may have liked her. That she wanted him just as much as I did, just as much as Liana did. I couldn't breathe.